Saturday, November 12, 2005

It feels like Monday

Well, it's the day after Veteran's Day and I am dreading going to work. Usually the substitutes go in and help the regular carriers get all of the mail out. Today all of the substitutes are working and there will be no help coming from the regular carriers. It should be an interesting day. I am going in to work almost 2 hours early. I've already been up for quite awhile praying about it. There is nothing quite like the feeling of walking into your work space and having to weave your way through at least 5 stacks of mail that are taller than you. Knowing you have to sort it all and take it out today.
Yesterday was a BEAUTIFUL day in this neighborhood. It was over 60 and sunny. We went to an auction. Did not buy much but we did get Jacob this great set of golf clubs. There are 24 clubs, a water retrieval club, shoes and bag. Price $16 (Jacob's face PRICELESS!) They are so heavy that he cannot carry them all so he picked out the ones that he needs right now. The shoes even fit.
We also bought an end table and a coffee table that I am going to do a quick sand job on and restain to work with our house. We got both of them for a grand total of $7. We could use them just as they are, but I want to change the color.
Came home and worked outside in the yard. All of us working together was nice. We crushed aluminum cans (somehow they are like rabbits, put two together and suddenly there are 6). We also cleaned out the back of Jacob's truck and my car interior. It was so windy here the other day that it blew the plywood lid off of our garbage container and someone picked it up and carried it off. We spent a little time looking around for that but no luck. Someone must have said WOW just what I needed. Hopefully, it had not hit their car first.
I went to a conference this last Tuesday evening and Wednesday. It was in Rockford IL about 3 hours away. They asked people from the Cranfest to come down and teach them how to run a festival our size. Quite an honor and quite interesting. Although I think maybe someone should come in and tell them how to run a conference. It was a strange experience. They never did seem to get on the same track. I did however learn a lot from a lady that is from Texas and runs major festivals down that direction. She confirmed many of my own beliefs and that was a good thing.
We run into the "we've always done it like this before" problem. After 33 years our festival has many traditions and we try to keep as many as we can, but there comes a time when you have to give up some of those because they don't work anymore. I am hoping that she gave me some answers that will allow those changes to happen with a minimum of hassle.
She also used Bible quotations to confirm her ideas for things and that was in itself very interesting. I am not used to someone getting up and telling about Jesus leaving the flock to search for the one lost sheep and using it as a chance to tell about God's love for us. I was impressed that she did use them and managed to do so in a way that no one in the room seemed upset over it. I might have to work on that concept a little for my life patterns and conversations that I have with non believers.
Will and the kids are home together today. I hope they are all still alive when I get back. The kids are in one of their we will get along wonderfully for 20 minutes and then we will kill each other modes. Will and I just get started on something else and have to go and seperate them. When they get along they get along great. When they don't, oh boy.
Tomorrow is church (Will is speaking), fellowship, a birthday party, brats cooked over the fireplace for lunch and then Christmas decorations. Should be a full day, but I hope a good one.
God's blessings on you all. I am going to work.

No comments: