Sunday, March 19, 2006

New addition to the family!

I have been resisting this for some time now. I have had perfectly logical and well thought out reasons for saying "no" that have withstood many attacks and even ambushes... until now.
In one instant almost all of my well thought out reasons were eliminated and the remaining reasons couldn't withstand the circumstancial as well as the rather substancial "puppy dog eyes" of my wife and children.

In the pictures that follow you can meet the newest addition to our family: Sam.
Sam is a four month old pure-bred black lab. He has already been house trained, neutered and has had all of his shots. He is the victim of a "family split" and the owner found she was unable to keep him. Sam only cost us the adoption fees which are significantly less than the costs of shots and neutering -never mind the cost of a full blood black Lab.

Both of my children have been making such great strides in their personal and scholastic lives that I had been pondering how to reward them when news of Sam reached my ears. So I sat down and did the math:

Adoption fees: $80
pet bed: $22
training book: $15
The look on my kids faces when I said "Yes":
----------------------------------------------------------------
Priceless


We've had Sam now for two days and with the exception of a couple of chewed up boxes and one hard landing on my chest at 5:30am (He was so darned happy to have "found" me I couldn't stay mad for longer than it took to put air back in my body) Sam has proven to be a very "good" dog indeed. I pray that continues. I only have one concern really, his name.
He is 4 months old and has already had at least three homes (the first owner, the vets office and now ours) through them all His name has been "Sam" and I don't want to confuse him any more with a different one, but I never liked a certain news reporter who had the same last name as mine... and now his complete name lives in my house. It's an insult to the dog really...

2 comments:

Joel Hayes said...

Yep I have to agree!! No Sams aloud. why don't you drop the "S" and add a "C" so it won't be confusing at all for ....Cam Donaldsons. By the way he's a Great Looking Dog!!

John said...

Sam Donaldson....I LOVE IT!!!!
It tickles me silly and I can not stop laughing out loud.