Sunday, July 02, 2006

We all gathered

We had the Oakes Family Gathering a week ago today. It was a wonderful time for all (I think).
It started on Saturday night with a bunch of people showing up here for a get together. It started to rain so we didn't sit around a camp fire, but there was plenty of food and plenty of fun. I decided it would be much easier for the people that came in from out of town, if I supplied the food with a little help from my family. We had pulled pork sandwiches, beef sandwiches, my Mom's potato salad, my Aunt Carrie's waldorf salad, Gramma Rose's corn casserole, baked beans and fresh strawberry pie. You know one thing that we can do in this family is eat and talk. We really had a good time.
Then on Sunday morning we had special music at our church at 9:00 am., then a gospel sing at Livingstones Fellowship at 10:00 and then pot luck at the log building after. Lots and lots of great food! There were pretty close to 50 of us and when we sang the "Doxology" in those accustics it was awesome! What a beautiful sound.
We all sat around eating and then watched a power point presentation that I put together about our family history. Then a slide show of family photos from the past. It was a good time. I think that we will do that again, but just in a different format.
Some of the Oakes family are still around, so we enjoy the visiting back and forth.
Will's parents arrived a week ago this last Friday and we have been having a great time with them too. Last Sunday was Betty's birthday, so we all sang to her and gave her flowers and balloons. I think she was suprised.
This week is fireworks, more family get togethers, the Iola Car Show and then the kids leave for Bible camp.
Hope you all have a blessed week.
dea

No comments: