Monday, March 12, 2007

Spring Fever!

This time of year is wonderful yet so hard! The temperatures are in the 50's during the day (almost 60 yesterday). I enjoy the warmer air and the sunshine, but it gives me spring fever. I want to get out and work in the yard, let the dirt slip through my fingers as I work in the flower bed or rake up last year's leftovers so that we can start fresh this year. I also love to plant my garden so that I can grow a new crop of weeds. Warm air means the lilacs will be out and the pussy willows too. Spring and fall are my favorite times of the year. The weather is perfect and the season's changes are so dramatic here in Wisconsin.
In spring we go from all whites and grays to as many colors of green that you can imagine. Then the flowers start blooming and the birds start singing louder. My hummingbirds will be back soon. The Canadian geese will arrive very soon and then there will be the little baby "honkers" running around. They are so cute, but sooooo noisy.
We'll soon have baby fawns running all gangly legged through the field. The crocus blossoms will peak up through the snow and then my bright red tulips will start blooming and waving in the breeze. The weather will be warmer at night and on our first night in the 50's when the sky is clear and it seems that you can see forever and forever is all covered in stars, Will and I will go out and stand together and just look for a long time and contemplate God's gifts and the wonder of his creation. We have done it every year since we moved up here and I know we will continue the tradition as long as we can. It is one of my favorite nights of the year. Just standing with my hubby staring into space with wonder, while the warm breeze blows and the whipporwills sing, crickets chirp and frogs sing.
I will soon start driving with my window open in the evening listening for frogs along the creek side. I am watching for my Dad's favorite the redwing black birds to come back. We cannot really count on the robins being our sign of spring, since some of them never left. The redwing black birds are a real sign of spring though. They come and perch on the cattail reeds and sway in the wind. I don't know why that is their favorite perch but it is.
The snow now is all compacted into a large block of ice due to the warmer temps. I long for the day it goes away and we can have that first good rain. Believe it or not when the snow leaves at first the ground and everything looks so "dirty". Everything is covered in this grimy build up that comes from all the stuff in the snow (salt, dirt, garbage etc). After the first good rain things look and smell so clean. It is just like a whole new world. I just love it!
Well, now that I have told you all about my "spring fever", I can go back to my laundry. I don't think that "spring fresh" smelling detergent is the same thing, but it seems to be my lot in life. Have a wonderful and blessed day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now I know what real spring fever is, as our seasons don't have such a dramatic change. You really should write a book, as you dicribe your enviroment so delightfully. It makes it come to life. "Deanna's Diary" sounds good.
I remember the red winged blackbirds, very pretty birds.