Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Oh Mighty Hunter!

My mighty hunter Will had to set out on a quest again this morning. There was a bat in the house. That's one of the good things about having an indoor cat. She notices EVERYTHING. I look over and she's looking at something on the side of the door frame. Now I do not have my glasses on, it's 4:55 am. All I see is a dark blob, but then the blob starts to move up the side of the door frame. Even not being able to see, I can tell what that is....yuck, a bat.

It's not like I hate them or anything, but they really creep me out. When I was young we were playing "kick the can" outside at night or maybe "Ghost in the graveyard", I was running and I had longer hair at that time. My hair must have streamed just right because I ended up with a bat stuck in it. He did not hurt me at all, but what noises and what a gross feeling. Now chills run up my spine when I see one.

Of course add to that the fact that when the "Mighty Hunter" tried to get one out of the house a couple of years ago, he accidentally threw it right onto my chest. Thank you so much dear. Not really confidence building.

So back to the story.....there is the bat. There is the cat. There goes Deanna. I left the frig open (don't remember doing it) and headed for the blue room and closed the french doors behind me. With the doors open just a crack, still watching the bat to make sure it doesn't move (which it did)I called the Mighty Hunter, who was not thrilled to come to my rescue. In fact he wanted me to go past the bat and get him a towel to catch it with. Yeah right.

He goes to grab the bat with the towel and the dumb thing flies away. Will opens up the outside french doors and screens and goes to get the bat. The dumb thing has fallen into my dish water that I had left some stubborn dishes soaking in for the night. Oh great. He dumps in the towel. Drags out the sopping bat and throws it into the yard. The indoor cat goes running to chase the outdoor cat. The dog is trying to help anyway he can, which is really no help at all. Meanwhile it is now 5:00 am and this is not how we wanted to start the day.

We catch the cat, bring the dog back in and as we walk by I look over at the bat who is now making his way into my flower garden. He's looking like a drunk sailor staggering home. Of course being chased by cat, flung with a towel, dunked in a bath of soaping water and then flung into the heavens in the light of day probably was not how he wanted to end his day either.

Disaster averted, I am now safe, Will has gone to work, the dog has had his morning constitutional, the cat is curled up on the bed, the kids are both sleeping soundly and all is right in the world. I can tell it's going to be a beautiful day.

Hope you have one too.
dea

No comments: