Thursday, June 12, 2008

rain, rain go away PLEASE!

We are trying to get ready for the Oakes Family Gathering, but I'm not so sure that we won't have to move it. You see the park that we are supposed to have it at received 11 inches of rain the other day and now they just received another 4 or so inches today. I'm not sure what will happen. A friend called and said that someone had called a meeting here in our village from his cell and that there were animal bodies floating in the water down there on the sides of the road and people calling from the water in ditches screaming for help. This is not a good mental picture for me. I'm having a hard time getting the urge to go to bed.

What terrible things floods are. I mean any natural disaster is terrible, but having almost drown once, floods scare me. Of course when you add in my time out on a shrimp boat in the middle of a hurricane....it is kind of a mental thing when I think about all of that water.

So for now, I will continue to try to get ready for the Gathering and hope that the water receeds. Also down in that area of Wisconsin Dells, is the Lake Delton that you hear about on the news. The whole lake drained away. Not good. Those poor people with hotels and resorts on the lake, now have no business, until they can fill the lake which looks like next year at the earliest. Insurance companies are denying them saying that they did not have flood insurance, but they didn't flood, they "drained". I don't know why it would not qualify as an act of nature.

Work has been fun in all the rain, but God has been good and I have not had to have my rain coat out at all. I've been in the rain over and over again while driving, but as soon as I've had to get out the rain has quit. Thank you Lord. I hate getting wet unless I'm in it for fun. Squishing around in the jeep seat is not my idea of fun.

Our poor SamDog had to go to the vet yesterday. He follows me EVERYWHERE. I mean everywhere. When he stopped following me and just laid there, I knew it was vet time. He ended up with Lyme's disease and some other tick born disease called Anaplasm (I think). He even had a dog fever of 104. Not good. Now he's on meds for 4 weeks. Thank God he takes pills well. What a chore if he didn't.

Will worked on the computers all day today while it rained. I bought a new scanner copier months ago and he had to network it between all three computers. Short job made longer by all of the interruptions, but he's done and I'm very thankful. Now I can scan documents (genealogy) and email them to relatives also stricken with the search for dead people bug.

Well, maybe I'll go in and lay there for a while and see if I can get to sleep. If not, I'll come out and work some more on historical searches or recipe recovery.

Have a great day tomorrow. Keep these flood victims in your thoughts and prayers.
dea

No comments: