Sunday, May 03, 2009

Going to an auction..

Yesterday morning was the Tomah City Wide Garage Sale Days. For those of you who don't garage sale, you're really missing something. For one thing, it is quite amazing to me what people think is too good to throw away and what they think things are worth. It's kind of like the $100,000 house syndrome. Someone's house may only appraise for $50,000.00 but, to them it's worth $100,000. so that's their asking price. Some item may be worth lots to them, but someone else wanders in and wonders why you would want it. It's funny.

I went to 5 or 6 sales waiting for an auction to start. There was an auction at a house that had a couch that one of my co-workers wanted, but since he would be on the mail route until early afternoon, I told him I would go and bid on it for him, if he couldn't get there before it went on the block. Ok, so I really wanted to go anyway and this was my excuse. I knew the person having the auction and knew she had really nice things.

I was right. I picked up a few really neat bargains. Examples: 1 large wooden bird feeder shaped like a barn in great condition on a pole and everything for $1, a 32 piece towel set (including 4 brand new beach towels and 14 bath towels) for $15, a set of antique sterling silverware with dates on them ranging from 1918-1921, for $1, a box of 8 hand weights for excercising (which my therapist wanted me to use) for $2. All in all it was a great day spent with friends in beautiful weather next to the lake. I even didn't spend that much money and that was really great. I love it when you find specific stuff you have been looking for and really get a bargain. Oh yeah, I also bought for $2 a whole tray of serving spoons, pie servers and other food service implements for our church (they all go missing for some reason).

We have a local youth ministry here that has started and although it has specific youth leaders, the rest of us that are youth leaders in the churches around have banded together with them to start an area wide outreach. Last night was the first concert in what they hope will be a series. They had 3 Christian bands come in at the fairgrounds and all area youth were invited. My kids went along with their cousin, friend Luke and Jake's girlfriend. Jake was so proud that he could pay for her ticket. I'm proud of him for wanting to take her and Will says it's just the first in a long line of his learning to give all his money to his woman. Sheesh... that's romantic Will. Makes us sound like a coin operated washer or something.

Anyway, it went from 8:00 pm until midnight. Yes, I remember the days of just getting ready to go out at 10:00, but now I'm older and 8:00 is time to start getting ready for bed (unless I'm already in bed). I didn't go. I prayed and sent the kids. They will have some daytime stuff and I will gladly volunteer, but not that late. Will got up at 4:00 this morning. I got up about 4:20. That would have been awful early in the morning after getting to bed after 1:00 am. I really am showing my age. The kids are obviously still asleep, so I don't know how it went. Hopefully, great.
Well, time to do laundry. Have a great day.
dea

No comments: