Monday, August 17, 2009

A weekend to remember.

You know the great thing about having older kids is the freedom (at some times). My kids are great kids and we trust them, so it's easier now for Will and I to head out for awhile and not worry (too much) that the house will burn down while we are gone. I had won a free hotel room in Black River Falls, so we decided to take advantage of that this last Friday and spend some time alone (a novel thought I know). My parents had Jessalyn over for a sleepover and Jake held down the fort here at home. He was going to have a cousin stay over, but that didn't work out, so he played bachelor all night and took care of the dog and cats. I think he was tickled to be able to do it. If anything had happened, help was just a phone call away. He did great!

Will and I got to do a lot of talking. Not about anything in particular, but just talk like we did when the kids were younger or even like when we were dating. It was fun. We went out to dinner and then we also went out to breakfast the next morning. WOW. It was great! I don't worry about us when the kids are gone. He's my best friend and we find plenty to talk about and things to do.

Saturday we came home and did a few little chores before heading out to a church family get together at our friend's house. Their last name is Fischer, so it's called Fischerfest ( like Cranfest, get it?). Anyway, it was a WONDERFUL time. We ate and ate and ate and played yard games galore. The kids threw water balloons and played games as well as video games after they all wore out. The adults that had not left yet started up these pitiful volleyball games. None of us were any good, but boy did we have fun. My sides hurt so bad from laughing. Then Jake and Jessalyn and their cousin Ryan came out and joined us. Jake is a card. You never know what he's going to do and when you added him into the already crazy mix.. things got interesting. It was a hoot.

Sunday morning we got almost 2 inches of rain in just a couple of hours. I slept in because with the thunder and lightening there was no way I could shower....so why bother getting up? We got to church just in time, but we made it. Headed home after church and believe it or not after some chores...I took another nap (it was one of those wet yucky days). In the afternoon, we went to the first annual Ken Oakes fish fry. Uncle Ken shared all of the fish that he's been catching all summer with us. It was great! Another evening of family and friends. We all sat around eating and talking. The weather had turned beautiful in the 70's and breezy. It was a great time.

Now we are back to real life after that minivacation of fun. Will and I are back to work today. The kids are out of summer school, so that's one less thing to worry about for now. I have a meeting or practice for either the kids or myself for almost every night this week (not how I like it to be, but oh well). The weather is cooler, so things around the house will be easier to get done. Last week the humidity was so high that it was all I could do after the mail route to deal with staying awake, let alone functioning. I do not like hot weather or humidity and it really does not like me either.

Hope you all have a great day.
dea

No comments: