Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Cold and Flu Season is here.....

Well, it's happened once again. The kids all went back to school and started sharing germs....if that wasn't bad enough....they bring them home to share with their parents.
We have 5 of the 7 rural carriers sick. Most of them are staying home, but the ones that don't want to stay home, bring it in and share it with the rest of us. I am about the only one that is healthy around there. I know that I at least have to work tomorrow as I have every day since last Wednesday. This is good for the pocket, but boy am I wearing thin. Will is off this weekend so that will help bunches. The kids don't have school today or tomorrow. It is nice to have Will here to help get them off to school.
I am really enjoying the fall colors and cooler weather. Our nice days have stayed around and we are all thankful. I don't know if anyone is more thankful than the cranberry growers. They all had to harvest late this year because of the warm summer (the berries didn't ripen as quickly). Now it is a scramble to get them all harvested. As you sit in your warm house imagine standing in hip waders in 40-50 degree water pushing cranberries into a corner of the bog so that they can get sucked up into a truck. The berries all float because they are full of air. That means the best way to harvest them is to float them to the truck. That is really a job that I don't know that I could handle. I can't keep my feet warm now, let alone standing in waste deep freezing water all day.
My Aunt Carrie cooked me a great lunch today on the route. I love to cook, but really enjoy sitting down to a good meal that I didn't have to work for. It works out very nice having her on the one route that I have been doing. I get to get out of the truck and stretch my legs and visit with her.
Jacob joined the chess team. He is ranked in the highest category. He played a game with the highest ranked player they have on the team and actually was ahead when they had to call the game. He really understands that game somehow. He does not get that from me. I used to drive my Father and Brother crazy when we played. I don't do anything that makes sense when I play, but I still have fun.
Well, time to get kids to bed.....yahoo! That means that I can go to bed too. Woke up with Will at 4:00 am this morning and that was a long time ago.
God Bless.

No comments: