Monday, July 30, 2007

New Friends and Family

I'm sorry that we have not posted in awhile, but things have been crazier than usual around here. Will's parents and our friends Hennie and Nanny(from Holland) were here. We had a wonderful splendiferous time with them and I am so glad they came to see us. We sure fit lots of stuff into a couple of days, but I think it went amazingly well and we all enjoyed each other bunches!
My Dad and I took Jacob to Riverside Bible Camp yesterday after church. He was so excited. His friend Alex from church went with us. I sure got an education on 14 year old boys when they talked. I think everything that they mentioned and then laughed about concerned some bodily function. If it was about some type of human waste product coming out of some body orifice it was fair game. Gross! I didn't really stop them until it got too gross because they were happy and that was what was important. Even happiness based on disgusting subjects is better than unhappiness or whining. I must be getting old.
When Will's parents were here we went to a cheese shop and tried all of the cheeses. Will and I have lived here 14 years and we have never gone to this shop. It was great fun. I picked out some white cheese with leeks and wild morel mushrooms in it. Will bought this 11 year old cheddar. Let me tell you right now that I don't appreciate that cheese like he does. They all just thought it was so lovely and just oohed and aahhed over it. Yuck! He paid a lot of money for something that sucks the spit right out of your mouth. It was like eating alum when I was a kid. I was tricked into it so don't go thinking I'm an idiot. Anyway the two things have the same effect on me. Except the cheese leaves this coating on the inside of your mouth that is like really thick soap scum. I think I would rather eat tar! He does not have to worry about coming home and finding that I've eaten the last little bit.
Jessalyn went to camp last week. She came home exhausted and we are paying for it. She is not a happy person when she is tired. Last night we were all tired and it was a pitiful excuse for an evening. I did not feel well, so I just laid around reading. Will had made doors etc all day at work so he was beat up, worn away and pretty much just sat too. Jessalyn on the other hand had energy, but also had "attitude". Not a good combination. We had a family discussion (Will did the talking) and then we all went to bed. Not a good evening and I hope that we can do better tonight. I just wish that I could get rid of this cold/allergies. It only seems to come on in the late afternoon, so I have no idea what it is, but it sure is a pain in the neck.
We are still working on our "evacuation plan" for Cranfest. Will has offered to be the "voice of emergency" which would consist of him getting on the loud speaker and saying "Run for your lives!". My hubby is soooooo helpful.
I need to tell you a little about what we did after Niagara Falls on our vacation so that we can get this picture show on the road literally....
We left Niagara on our way to where my parent's (both sides) families come from. You see while I was searching for my Oakes family (I had not started on my Mom's side yet) I noticed that one of the ladies that had so graciously helped me in my quest was named Edmonds. I asked about it and found out that she is married to my Mom's cousin and had that whole family tree done. What a blessing from God. Now I could really focus on the Oakes side on the trip and Mom would focus on her side and we could go over it all when we got back.
Well we left Niagara on our way to St. Thomas, Ontario. It is a wonderful community and felt like home in many places. My great, great, great great grandfather helped to establish the community years ago. Brenda and Chuck were wonderful and helped us get to the cemetery that you saw in the pictures before this. I will write more about that experience next, but I have to take a minute to gather my thoughts on that one. It was one of the most "profound" moments in my life.
Well time to leave for work. Actually, I am running late. Peggy and Amanda came in to "gab" and I lost track of time.
Have a blessed day.
dea

No comments: