Thursday, August 02, 2007

A hunting we will go..A hunting we will go...

The main reason that I have dreamed of this trip to Canada was the chance to find out more about my ancestors. Garrett Oakes is the road block that I have hit in trying to find out my family history. We can chase it back to his birth in 1791/1792, but it really goes no further than that.
He was quite a prominent figure in the history of the Talbot Settlement and establishing Elgin County, Ontario, Canada.
I have always loved history even as a little child. I soak it up like a sponge. Probably due to the fact that I was raised by a Civil War buff. I think I have been to most of the Civil War Battlefields. One fall we took in most of the historical places on the east coast on a great trip with my family. For me history has always been almost a "living thing" . It certainly feels real. I can put names with places etc and that was an advantage in school. One of the most "profound" moments of my life was when I stepped onto the field at Gettysburg. Another was Lincoln's tomb in Springfield... and now another is stepping into that ravine and walking the trail to Garrett's tombstone. That beautiful setting and the sense of history there brought tears to my eyes and I felt a reverence there not unlike Gettysburg. To me that spot that God has made so beautiful was more beautiful than any cathedral. I honestly could have spent hours just standing there soaking it in. It was somehow like you could feel God's presence there in a "different" way. Very moving to say the least. There really is something about walking where your ancestors walked over 100 years ago.
Brenda had called ahead to ask the wonderful people who live above the ravine, if we could tramp over their yard to get to the cemetery. Mary Lou was gracious enough to even offer to take us down herself and act as a guide. What a blessing. She knew right where to go and was full of information. Then to make it even better she sent more pictures after we were home. Her hubby Tom was great and just happened to be restoring a 1939 Dodge (which is what Jacob owns here at home and hopes to restore soon.) Tom then showed "the boys" all of his goodies and truthfully, my son and husband would have been thrilled to stay there all day and learn. What a wonderful time. Not only the cemetery, but now the car. You see 1939 Dodges from what I understand are few and far between. Jacob and Will have been searching for info and parts with little luck. Now here they were with a walking and talking authority. Dream come true for Jacob. Grasping their"how to books" that Tom graciously shared....we headed out for the next stop, but to tell you the truth, that stop made it worth the whole trip, right then. It didn't really matter much what else happened.
I will tell you this about our trip to Canada. We never ran into one person that was not ready to go out of their way to help us. Everyone that we met was great and it was made a greater trip for meeting them. I was really impressed with the people of that community. I hope that I can be as great a blessing to those who come here to ours.

No comments: