Friday, August 24, 2007

3:58am

We've been getting a lot of rain lately. If you have been watching the news, there has been considerable flooding. Thankfully, most of that has been 30 or more miles from here. We are doing just fine thank you.
I still haven't cleaned up from the little storm damage we did have a week ago. As I mentioned earlier the grass is growing at a staggering rate and my allergies are in high gear. I had a several sneezing fits yesterday that rattled my teeth and made my bones ache. My allergies haven't messed with me too much over this last year. I guess they're making up for lost time. Normally, I can keep going in spite of the sniffles and sneezing but with the intermittent rain also hampering what I can do, let's just say I haven't done much. I hate that. I have too much to do and not enough time to sit around "worthless". That brings me to what I really wanted to say so early in the morning:

On the right of this page you will find a link for Rachel Hauck. If you go there and click on the word "blog", she made some interesting comments about "taking 'stock' in ourselves". Reminded me of some things that have been going with me and with my job.

Honestly, I don't even consider myself a "good" Christian; never mind trying to be the image of Christ. I just know I have way too much work to do in my life before I will even come close. This is a fact I have been very honest about with anyone who needs to know.

None the less, I am a Christian.

I am keenly aware that I have taken His Name and I have become an Ambassador for Jesus.

Just like some of the people you may work with at your place of employment, just because you have the job doesn't mean you do it well. Still, I appreciate working with the people who try their best regardless of the results. The effort makes the difference.
I think we all have worked with people who just do the bare minimum. Just enough to keep their jobs and what little they do, they do grudgingly. I have also worked with people who just can't quite
"get it".
They are trying their best, but often cause more problems then they solve. I would rather work with the latter than the former any day of the week. Some people seem to be born to the work they do and can do their jobs better than anyone else. When it comes to being Jesus' ambassador, I would SO love to be that guy. The truth is, sometimes I think I cause more problems than I solve. What gets me by, is that I KNOW I am trying my best. I'm not so sure everyone "gets" that but I try not to worry too much about it because: Jesus is my defender. I know that HE knows my heart and regardless of what anyone else thinks, He is the One that Matters Most.

Still, I have to deal with the ones who "just don't get it".

Anyone see the irony here?

Anyway, to make a short story longer:
I was reading in Rachel's blog and she was talking about an unearned reputation. I could relate but on an entirely different level.

I have always been acutely aware that I am Christ's Ambassador, especially at work. God and I have a deal: I do my best and He takes care of the rest. Sounds simple but you would be amazed at how much you can stress over whether or not you are doing your best...

There is one coordinator at my job that I sometimes have to work with. He has been a thorn in my side for years and years. I have always done my best and tried to deal with his blaming me for his mistakes. He is clever, I will say that. He knows how to accuse me when I can't defend myself. Grrrrrr. Still, I have a job to do and God has allowed him to be in authority over me in those situations, so I just "deal".
Not too long ago he says to me: You know, I didn't think too much of your work in the past, but lately you have really "stepped up".

Huh?

I haven't done anything different. He didn't want anything from me either. His perception of me changed and he attributed it to me. I haven't changed (that I'm aware of) I have always tried to do whatever they asked me- to the best of my ability; For Fourteen Years! Now all of a sudden I have "stepped up"?

Well, Thank you Lord. My Defender.

My point: It is a matter of priorities. It does matter what other people think. We are His Ambassadors after all. It just doesn't matter as much as what God thinks. The question now is: What do you think?

There was a song out some time ago and the lyrics talked about these famous Monks and the singer asked one what made them so special. The monk replied: We fall down. We get up.

I say this a lot because it's the Grace of Jesus that I cling to:

Winning the battle isn't as important as fighting.
Jesus has already won
We just have to keep fighting
If you fall down, get up!
Don't give up.

Will.

p.s. Jessalyn and Jacob planned and pulled off a surprise birthday party for Deanna. Jessalyn wrote Dea a card that said:
Dear mother of mine
You are now 43
One year closer to dying
I'm glad your still here
You are my mom
and I love you dear
sweet mother of mine
luv
Jessa.

You Know I had to include that right?
whd

No comments: