Saturday, August 18, 2007

Waz Up?

How's that for an out of style title? It has been a whirlwind around here for a while so I thought I would take just a couple of minutes to catch us up. Of course if I only take a couple of minutes then that means I'm going to miss a bunch of stuff. Sorry 'bout that.
I don't know if we are going to post much more info about our vacation to Canada. It's all old news and the rest of the pics are pretty much just tombstones. Deanna may change my mind on that for me; if she does, you'll be the first to know. I did want to take a second to again, thank everyone we met along the way for helping to make our trip such a success. I am afraid to name names for fear of leaving someone out and everyone was sooo wonderful I just don't want to do that. So, I'm not going to name anyone! (besides it's all I can do to remember my wife's name never mind anyone else!)

Since the last blog we were trying to get ready for my Mom, Dad, and our wonderful friends from Holland Henny and Nanny to come and visit. Of course we didn't get half the stuff done that we wanted too but they didn't seem to mind. I had wanted to build a screen porch to help beat the summer heat. I have all the materials to make it, so I figured it would cost only about sixty bucks to build. To get permission from the county to build it is going to cost me a hundred dollars and I have to wait until they come inspect the property first. Sheesh! Here is the punch line though: After I build it, No One Comes To Inspect It! That's right! They want to make sure I don't build it on someone Else's property, but if it's rickety and hazardously built they don't care and won't check on it. Nice huh? Only in America. It's Okay I still fly the American Flag. I just hope no one notices that I put the flag pole up with out permission!
Anyway, I didn't build the porch. At least not yet.

Thankfully, Mom and Dad's travel trailer has air conditioning so we beat the heat that way. We had such a great time together and laughed and laughed. Deanna (that is her name...right?) and I really needed it. We are only sorry that it was such a short time. Henny and Nanny are such fantastic people! We are truly blessed with friends like them. Of course Mom and Dad were great, after all, where do you think I get it from? (my humility too!)

By the By, Mom and Dad are considering selling their travel trailer if you are interested, we can make you a deal...No tire kickers! :-) Myself, I told Dad I won't put the "for Sale" sign on it. He has to. It's a symbolic thing. I am happy knowing there is a place here for my parents to come to, that is ready when they are. But it's just symbolic, because I know they wouldn't let anything stop them from coming to visit. Does anyone understand this? I noticed that Dad didn't seem to find the time to put the "for sale" sign on it either. Hmmm.

With all of that out of the way the annual trip to Green*Lake occurred this last week. This is a camping trip that originally was just the women from the Oakes family and their kids. It has grown and Morphed over the years. No one really camps anymore. I have always teased Dea that she doesn't camp, she Moves! You should see this woman pack! The women play a game at green lake: What could we possibly NEED that Deanna doesn't have? They haven't won that game yet. This year Dave went with Dottie and I went with Deanna and we all rented a nice house near were they used to camp. In Fact, I believe everyone stayed in a cabin of some sort. No tents and no trailers. It was quiet and peaceful and very nice. I had to leave a couple of nights early because of work, but still it was all very nice. Deanna comes from a very nice family and I am glad to know all of them. I am very grateful they let us few men in on their ladies trip.

Since then we have been mellowing out here at home. My work is going through some changes but that doesn't matter much to me because my life ergo my work is in God's merciful hands. Still, there has been some added stress. The house is a wreck again but we are starting to un-bury. There have been some short but windy storms lately. We Need the Rain. Just not the wind. Lot's of trees down all around us but nothing much disturbed at our house. The neighbor lost a big big tree that I will have to help chainsaw up, but I only have a fence panel that leans a little more than it already was. God is Good. All the time.

I mowed the lawn yesterday for the first time in three weeks. It's been too dry and the grass was almost dead. Looking at the grass yesterday morning, I don't think any of the rain made it past the grass into the dirt. It looked like the grass grew four inches over night! Yeah Yeah, I know it didn't, but it sure looked like it. I know it was growing and "going to seed" because by the time I was done mowing, my eyes were swollen and watery and I couldn't go more than minute without sneezing. Allergies; God's way of letting you know He can Mess with you whenever He wants - No wait! I mean God's way of teaching us to lean on His Grace! Yeah! that's the ticket! (sniffle)

Today it rained all day. The good kind of rain that isn't too hard to cause flooding and run off and not so light it evaporates before it hits the ground. It was really good and I know the crops around here sure needed it. Of course this means the lawn will need to be mowed again...

We just found out a couple of minutes ago that Jacob has been accepted into a special class at high school this year that will allow him to do most of his scholastic learning on a computer at school and he will be able to work at his own pace. Which means faster or slower as he needs. We are hoping this will keep him from getting bored and give him the time when he needs it. That is a big answered prayer for us and we pray it will continue to be. We will have two orientations for him this year and they both happen this next week. Jessalyn's orientation is the following week I believe.
That pretty much brings you up to speed. Cranfest is just around the corner so you will be hearing more about that. ( I apologize in advance!) and Dea was reading over my shoulder and has informed me that there WILL be more pics from the vacation folder (told you!). Don't forget our running commentator on the right, or of course you can just leave a regular comment if you like. I truly pray that the presence of the Lord and His Holy Spirit will continue to increase in your life!

Will.

1 comment:

Rachel Hauck said...

Great post. Henny and Nanny! Wow, I remember them from way back in the day! How great to still be in touch and visiting them.

Sounds like all is well in Donaldsonville! ;)

Rachel