Sunday, March 09, 2008

Do you remember the stupid things rule?

We have discussed that rule before. Stupid things happen to me. Well, it happened again. Everyone else was suprised, but not me. I knew that it would rear it's ugly head and probably at the most innapropriate moment. It did.

I went this last weekend to the Governor's Conference on Tourism, which feels for the most part like my one chance during the year to do something really creative and actually be seen as an intelligent person. For the rest of the year I am just "me". Now don't get me wrong, I'm happy to be me, but sometimes it is nice to let my creative energy out of the every day box. Sometimes it is nice to have the chance to just let the ideas fly. I got a chance to do that this year and enjoyed it. I happened to sit in on a couple of round table discussions that really got the energy flowing. I also got to have my own hotel room at a resort and spa that saw to my every comfort including my daily walking requirements (my room was 847 steps one way from the main conference room). One day I walked it a total of 9 times (18 if you count the return trips). Lots and lots of steps. It was great! I love walking, especially when my foot does not hurt. Anyway, I digress.

I was really enjoying the pampering, the thinking, the not being responsible for anyone but myself although I could not handle any of it any longer than I did. I am programmed to be responsible and to think about others. It was nice though for a little bit.....but then the stupid things rule....

Picture this..... I am sitting at a table for breakfast with 8 other people and we are talking about ideas for this next couple of years of Cranfest. We are also discussing ideas that we can bounce by the tourism department and other agencies for creative advertising. This is one of my favorite type subjects. Everyone is just throwing ideas around and you really have to work to keep up with all of them. One idea just leads to another. We are really on a roll. Someone asks me for the cream. Someone else reaches for something next to the cream as I am passing this little cream pitcher on it's own little saucer. You can see it coming right? The pitcher tips a little and then flies off of the saucer landing on guess who?

I am now wearing white cream all over my red sweater. You know it's suprising how much cream that one little pitcher could hold. Especially since we had already been using it. I am covered all down my front, right down to my shoes. Everyone is talking at once. Everyone is trying to get me cleaned off. The servers are running for napkins. Everyone is concerned and I am laughing. I think that they think I am hysterical, as I laugh it off.

I try to explain the stupid things rule. They look at me like I'm nuts (Probably)but what can you do? There's no use crying over spilled milk right? Gotcha!! I've been waiting for a chance to use that one although, I probably really should have waited longer. Anyway, they're all worried. Not me.. I was expecting this. I have at least 2 other outfits back at the room for this type of situation. They are looking at me. I just calmly finish eating breakfast and then head back to the room to take my second shower in 2 hours, change clothes and return. No problem. I appreciated their concern, but I had expected it. It waited until the second morning, so I knew it was coming. At least it was not painful.

Well, that was my excursion into adultland. I am now home trying to get caught up. I keep trying, but don't know when I'll succeed. I have lots and lots of laundry to do.

By the way, it's not like our Christmas tree was in our main living area rotting and shedding. It is in our extra room. It was all naked of lights etc, but the weather has been terrible. We have had between 20-50 below wind chill factor and snow for so long, that it was just safer, warmer and less hassle to leave it there until the weather cooperated. Besides with all the snow on the ground, Will would have been almost waist high in snow taking it out. Not fun, so we didn't push it. The weather is slightly being more cooperative lately, so we can do more. But it's still windy. The tree is no longer where it was, but has moved in the wind another 100 feet or so. Poor Tater the dog thinks it's alive.

My Uncle is still in ICU. The doctors do not hold much hope for him, but I HAVE A BIG GOD!! We are all praying. I mean look what he did with Lazerus. Uncle LLoyd is still functioning and doing better than expected. We're keeping the faith and waiting.

Well, the weather is supposed to be better this week and we hope that it holds true. We still have well over a foot of condensed snow that has turned pretty much to solid ice. Not fun on a mail route, especially when you get out to deliver a package.

Hope you all have a great day.
God bless.
dea

No comments: