Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spring might be here?

I'm afraid to get my hopes up. We have had wonderful weather the last 4 days. Temps from 38-52 and sunny. To most of you that sounds cold. To most of us it's a heat wave. I have actually delivered my mail route all four days in just a t-shirt and my hooded sweatshirt.

Although yesterday was the first day that we actually hoped for spring and thought we might get it. It all started in the morning when Will took the dog out for his morning exploration. You see we have to call it an exploration because he lies and says he really, really has to go, while doing the "potty dance". Once you get outside he seems to forget the dance and is more interested in smelling the entire yard to see who might have walked over it during the night. You actually have to remind him why he came out in the first place. Now that the snow is melting and things are actually "smelling" again, it's harder than ever to keep in on track.

Anyway, Will had the dog out and came in with a big smile on his face. It seems that the "dawn chorus" was awake and singing. During the winter here, the birds do not really sing. Most of the song birds migrate. You end up with Blue Jays and Crows for the most part and let me tell you when they sing, it sounds more like an argument. Evidently the birds were all singing in the trees around him and he had 3 woodpeckers that were doing their thing in three different areas. It was kind of an echo effect with them. Then add in a couple of Canadian geese honking as they flew over. It was spring.

On my route I pulled into an area that I have to stand outside and deliver mail to over 100 boxes. When I pulled up I was delighted to smell the earth. It's hard to explain, but during winter you smell crisp air and ice. Nothing else seems to smell except smoke from chimneys etc. It's like the world is frozen trees, ground and all. Yesterday was the first day that I could smell the world around me. I could smell the sun beating down on the earth, the grass starting to emerge again and all the smells of "life" beginning again. Then some Canadian geese came over followed by a sandhill crain. It was great! I could have just stood there for hours. What a great job God does.

We are going to have a celebration of Uncle Lloyd's life the beginning of April. He wanted lots of singing and food. That's something my family can really get into. Add a little talking, ok a lot of talking and you've got it made. Now that's our family's idea of perfect, except it will really be different without Lloyd there. Maybe by then we will be able to sing without getting choked up. I'm not holding my breath.

Time to get ready for church and then after church get ready to start planning the remodeling project. We are repainting every room in the house. Restaining the outside, new soffet and facia, new roof and new septic God willing.

On that optomistic but depressing note. Oh man, Oh man, Oh man.... what a lot of work. Hey Bob, how about coming over from Australia on a work visa and helping? I'll feed you! Bring Nick. Just kidding!

Have a great day!
dea

No comments: