Friday, August 22, 2008

Flowers but not flowers?

Wednesday was my birthday and I specifically told my hubby don't get me anything. Of course he did not listen. He sent me flowers, well sort of. What he sent me was a "bouquet" arrangement of candy bars. Now this is being sent to a woman on a diet. Do you think maybe he had an ulterior motive? I will admit that I loved getting them and I will also admit that I cheated. I thank him for the loving gesture. It really rubs it in the noses of the guys at work when he does that. I think that the guilt may get to them, so some of their wives might get flowers because I did. I think that's a great system.

When it's your birthday at work you are supposed to bring in a treat for everyone (no I am not in kindergarten). It's just a way to celebrate with everyone else. I did not take one in on Wednesday because one of the guys were gone and he had missed it last year. They really enjoy my cooking. I had planned on taking my specialty cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting, but realized I did not have any cream cheese. So this morning I threw together: Cherry cobbler, cinnamon bread, brownies and lemon bars. They are all cooking in my oven as I type (I have a very large oven).

Wednesday for my birthday Jessalyn decided to scare us to death. Will and I were in my garden harvesting cucumbers and checking out tomatoes. Jessa was playing with the dog. I heard her start to cry and thought she had fallen. I turned around and she had her hand over her face but her back was to us. When I asked her what had happened she turned to face us and there was blood streaming down her face, arms, legs all over her shirt and pants. She looked like she had gone through a plate glass window. We took off for the house. Will (my hero) carried her with me still clutching the cucumbers. We took her straight to the tub so she could lay down and I could clean her up and see the damage. Bottom line is she's fine BUT she and the dog had reached for something at the same time and crashed heads. He's fine. She had a busted lower lip, busted upper lip and bloody nose. She was very brave and it's all better now. That will sure make your heart pump faster.

I spent yesterday working on Cranfest stuff as well as housework. I am working with the help of two others on a pictorial display of cranberry growing. I have winter sanding, summer blossoms, berries, fertilizing, pest control, flooding beds for harvest, harvesting and the trip they make to the receiving station and Oc*an Spray. We have big pictures with descriptions underneath them. Today I'm hoping to laminate them and then we will put velcr* on them and hang them in the agricultural display building. We also have floating cranberries, the biggest cranberry contest and the veggie contest in there as well as cranberry equipment. Last year we had a 700 lb. pumpkin. Pretty cool.

Aside from a couple of pages put into books, that's it for my set up for a little while. In a couple of weeks I will have to get together the "Count down to Cranfest" with our local radio stations and possibly a state one. We get donations from local businesses and make up gift baskets and give them away on the morning show.

Then I'm pretty much done until law enforcement meetings start and then we will "paint the town orange" again. I and 3 or 4 others pull a 10' square made of pvc pipe around as a template and spray paint around it with orange paint to tell vendors where to set up their booth. Each one is numbered. We will do this almost 1500 times throughout the town. We love it. It's a great time. I look forward to breaking out my 10 year old orange re*boks.

School starts on the second. I am ready to get into a routine again. Both my kids will be on the bus by 6:30 each morning. It will be different having them both here getting ready at the same time each morning. Lots of adjustments. Jessalyn seems excited and Jake is just ready to see his friends, although he seems more interested in the classes he has this year (driver's ed is one of them, sigh)

Well the lemon bars are done. I have to check the brownies and cobbler.
Hope you all have a great day. Pray for Will's folks and all those others in Florida. We had 8 inches here this last summer and it caused havoc. I cannot imagine what 12-30 inches would do.

dea

No comments: