Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Where's the beef?

A funny thing happened at work yesterday that probably is pretty much a Wisconsin thing. I was on route 4 which happens to run through Amish country and through all of these dairy farms. I came around a corner and low and behold standing in the middle of the road was a 2000 lb. White face Hereford BULL! To tell you how big he was his nose was facing south and his head was hanging past the road into the ditch. His rump was facing North and was at the very North edge of the road. Let me tell you I am glad that I was not going any faster.
Well, there were some "lady cows" in the pasture he was facing and he was romancing them with a song when I got there. I honked my horn and edged forward. He turned looked at me and "Moooooed". I edged a little forward and he ignored me and my car. I kept edging and honking. Finally when I was about 10 feet away...I stuck my head out the window and yelled "Move it Buster" to which he mooed again, but this time he turned and very slowly strutted down the road 15 feet. I yelled again and he walked off the road and into a shady part of the ditch. Turned and looked over his shoulder as if to say "Well woman?". I pulled by him and he turned around and walked back out onto the road and started his romancing again. It was comical. Boy can I ruin a moment! He had this long suffering look on his face. I laughed the rest of the day.
This is not a unique occurrence in any way for this route. This is the 5th time I have found a cow in the middle of the road. Usually it is an Amish owned cow and I know where to watch. The Amish on this route have need of a few fencing skills. I know where to watch for cows in the road most times, but this time was a hoot!
Another thing that happened this week that made me wonder about the world today is....
I went to Walmart to get some copies made of some family pictures. One or two of them were pictures from Civil war time. Let's see, my great grandfather was in one and he was 7 or 8 at the time. He died 20 something years ago at age 93. He would be about 113 now. That picture was old! Walmart refused to make a copy of it because the owner of the picture might prosecute them! Even if the photographer was only 20 when he took the picture that would make him 133 years old. Where do they think he is going to come to them from? Another picture was from 1850 and they thought that photographer (at least 170 years old) would get them too. You have to wonder if society's "Suit happy" theories have caused all of this. People sue people for the dumbest things and win! It sure seems that someone somewhere in our past hit the self destruct button doesn't it? I guess today's society proves Adam and Eve's sin better than anyone thought we could. You really have to wonder what people are thinking.
Well, onto more work.....Today is a new day.
One tradition our family tries to keep is watching the sunset with each other almost every night. At least two of us watch it together for awhile. You should try it too. God sure paints some beautiful paintings!

1 comment:

Joel Hayes said...

Ha! Great post. you can picture it in your mind, or at least I can. sounds alot like what goes on around here as well. we only have a few amish that live around here, most live just north of us in PA. We do have a lot of farms and when I'm scouting for deer or going fishing I'll see a few loose cows out around the road from time to tme.
Talk to ya later.