Saturday, July 09, 2005

Iola WI car show and Hi Uncle Dan!

Hello! From Iola Wisconsin! Well, not really, we’re still in Warrens but I have a few pictures from the "33rd Annual Iola Old Car Show and Swap Meet "
This is the third trip I’ve made to it and the 2nd that I was able to go with my Dad (the true “Car Nut”). He took most of the pictures (and no, you are not going to get to see all of them; there’s a 120 of ‘em!) I only got a few because I knew that Dad’s camera could hold a lot more than mine, so I waited for the ones that really captured my attention or made me catch and hold my breath. There really weren’t many. Don’t get me wrong, there were easily a thousand fantastic cars there. Its just that when you are in that kind of company you really have to be spectacular to stand out or at least have some kind of sentimental attachment.
The last couple of years there were many, this year not so much. Maybe I’m just getting spoiled. The highlights car wise was a real live honest-to-goodness Tucker. One of only 48 left and of course one of only 51 ever made. I never thought I’d get to see one in person much less see one outside under a tree with the owner (a young guy in his late twenties!) standing next to it, rag in hand wiping the bugs off from where he’d driven it!!! He doesn’t drive it far but he said he drives it as much as a hundred miles from his home for a car show or two. The other big highlight for me was a pair (!) of 55 Plymouths. My Dad had a convertible 55 when he met my mom and I have never seen one in person. I had seen a few pictures but had never been able to find one. Then, just as we were getting ready to leave this guy pulls in with two of them on a trailer in real nice shape. Neither car was a convertible but they were two-tone in such a way that I could imagine what Dad’s looked like. Dad’s was red and black and one of the two we saw was red and white. Very fine cars. Being able to see them with my Dad standing right there was the exceptional pleasure. That was the real “thing”, the real reason that it’s such a fun and great trip; Dave (Dea’s Dad) and my Dad walking around talking about these great old cars. It really helps to put a real perspective on the times when these cars were all that were on the streets. We brought Jacob and his cousin Patrick with us. No kidding, the two “Old Guys” (I use that term with the utmost respect!) were acting more like kids than the kids were! You really should have seen them! One would see something and head straight for it while the other would spot something and stop to look at it. Neither one would say anything to anyone as to what they were doing. It was a hoot. Me and “The Guys” (Jacob and Patrick) would stand there between the two grandpas as they wandered off in opposite directions and laugh. Really, we were all pretty bad. The “Grandpas” really wanted to look at the really early cars up to the mid fifties. I was into the early and late 60s and a few early 70s while Patrick seemed to only be interested in dune buggies and motorbikes, scooters, and mopeds. Jacob wanted only to find a 63 VW “Herbie”, (and no, he does not like the new movie. In his words they didn’t even get the music right and every thing else was wrong too!) and a 39 Dodge or anything that might have to do with one. Grandpa (Dave) has given him the ’39 Dodge “Deluxe” that he took his wife to the hospital in when she was in labor with Deanna. It is going to need a lot of work and time and money. I have tried to tell Jacob to start with the finding the “money” and everything else will fall into place. We’ll see how it works out. In any case we have yet to find one, but we did see a 38 Dodge and we wrote down the owners name and number. Perhaps we’ll be able to find parts through this gentleman. I once searched the “Hemmings Motor News website for “39 Dodge” I found only one entry. A whole running car in Penn. That was a while ago and I certainly didn’t have enough money to buy it then and quite frankly I don’t have it now…
Annual Iola Car Show and Swap Meet.

It’s a beautiful sunshiny day with a wonderful breeze blowing. I, of course, am inside writing this! But I needed to get this blog out and to get some lunch, so I thought I’d kill two birds with one stone. The kids (Paul, Mindy, Patrick, Jessalyn, and Jacob are all in the other room watching and playing video games. I would normally object to that on such a nice day but they are all getting along so nicely at the moment and they were all outside for the morning.

Mom (aka Grammie) is floating around somewhere. I will have to go find her in a minute. I haven’t been able to spend as much time with her as I would like and now with the Hurricane seemingly aiming for their house, she’s a little restless to say the least. Lord, we do ask for your Peace, Your Wisdom and that Your Blessings be poured out on us and all who are affected by this hurricane Amen. I think the next thing I will do is check out Rachel’s website and see if she has anything to say about it (she is, after all in Fl.). Doing that should help me get some more perspective on how to pray. In the mean time I trust the Holy Spirit to interpret my “moans and groans”.

Dad has run into town to get me a new air filter for my push mower. I have a weed eater and a riding mower that work fine but the push mower isn’t too pleased with any idea of having to work to earn its keep. We don’t really need it but there are a couple of areas that are too small for the rider and too large for the weed eater. So I really hope he can get that going. It’ll save a lot!

Dea is at work. She just called a little bit ago to say she was sitting in the shade with a sprinkler spraying her through the window of her car. I told her I thought that sounded refreshing but she didn’t seem to think so. I guess someone was watering his or her mailbox…

Well, I need a nap. I think I actually might get one too, but I will have to wrap this up first so: My mom bought my wife a coffee cup it’s a beautiful Delft-blue(?) looking thing but it is completely microwave and dishwasher safe. It says:

Numbers 6:24

Will

PS: My Mom wanted to say a special “Hello” to her brother Dan C. Of course I don’t want to be left out either so “Hi Uncle Dan!”

Peace

No comments: