Tuesday, December 27, 2005

The "Between" time

From Will


Well we have made it through Christmas and have entered what I call the "between" time. That time between Christmas and the New Year. I try to save up my vacation time so that I have enough to cover my work days "between". I don't go on vacation or anything but mostly stay at home with the kids who of course are off from school.
It gives me a little time to connect with my kids and to vegetate away from work. Gives my body a little time to heal too. Of course I'm not really doing my body any good at the moment but I will get to that later. Anyway, today for me is the beginning of "Between Time".

The Christmas Eve Party came off without a hitch. Which really surprises me. Deanna and I have been so busy for the last three months that everything has been way, way, way behind schedule. For example,usually I make a big deal out of putting lights on the house and property but I couldn't find the time.

Usually I start putting lights up right after Halloween! Now yes, I know that's pretty early and pretty funny too but it also makes sense. Any idea how much fun it is to lay on a snow covered roof trying hang lights while hanging over the edge? Lets just say it can take some of the "Joy" right out of the season. Though on the other hand, your prayer life really spikes up! Anyway I try to set aside time to do that before the snow hits hard. I just never got around to it.

So the Friday before Christmas with some help from our friend Amanda I was able to put some lights around the courtyard fences and put one of those silly moving deers up in the front yard and that was it. It was way too slippery to try for the roof. And of course I didn't have enough time.

It has pretty much been that way for Dea too. The biggest part of our annual Christmas Eve party "burden" is on her. I am pretty much just muscle and lately I don't have a lot of that. Thank you Lord for the Gift of Amanda and Her Mom Peggy!

Those two have really made a difference in our lives. They are just now starting to get settled in their new place where they can be close to us for a change. They've been spending hours upon hours driving back and forth from Wisconsin Rapids to spend time with us and the Church. Now they won't have to. It has been marvelous!

With My "little sister" Peggy and my " buddy" Amanda we have been able to do what normally takes weeks in just a couple of days. The load they took off my wife's shoulders is enough to bring tears to my eyes. Add in the amount of work taken from my shoulders and I think I have to go find a tissue!

So Christmas eve gets here and we have prepared food and place for 50+ people. We had like 47 last year so we wanted to be prepared. I think maybe 27 showed up. OOPS!

Oh it's perfectly ok with us. This party has always really been about making sure that everyone has someone to be with on Christmas. For some people I think our party is the only Christmas they see. So this really isn't about us but about the people that show up. We were sad for those few who couldn't make it because they were ill. It really "inhales" to be sick on Christmas! Those that had to be somewhere else we understand and of course no hard feelings. Now about all this food.......
Deanna's Goal in life I think is to feed the world - personally. Perhaps I should say "Cook" for the world. I have so much food around this place it is staggering! Of course, if I am going to have a "Problem" with food this is the problem I want to have: too much!

We had to put some out in the entry way and opened the window to the cold. We have food in the wood shed up where I hope no "critters" can get to it. Then there is the refridgerator. Nothing falls out when you open it...If you're careful. You can only v e r y c a r e f u l l y take out what is in the front row. If you try to touch something that isn't hanging off the front edge you're liable to start an avalanche! Oh it's fun!

This brings us back to the part about not doing my body any good at the moment. Hate to see all that food go to waste! We made bunches of Christmas baskets but we still have plenty left over.
Christmas morning was a wonderful Blessing from the Lord. The kids actually let mom and dad sleep in! Of course for us that means 6am. We went out into the sun porch where the tree is and started opening presents. It was really, really nice. What can be better than seeing the faces on the ones you love opening gifts? That does more for me than parties or gifts for myself. Of course I'm not giving back my new "19.2 volt cordless drill", but seeing both my Children with new guitars for Christmas was definitely the highlight. They have both been wanting one so badly. My parents pitched in for half and gave me the gift of seeing my kids have them. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Poor Deanna, She doesn't understand that husbands are supposed to buy special presents for their wives on Christmas and for anniversaries and if anyone ever explains it to her I might punch them in the nose!
It took me a while to figure this out until the one year I got her this electric griddle that she'd been asking for. She actually Cried tears of Joy! If I buy her jewelry I get "Oh, how nice!", but if I buy her an appliance she hugs my neck and cries! Go figure! At first I thought maybe she was upset but no, she really was that happy!. Well, shoot! I can buy appliances all day long!
Well, there was one exception last year where I was able to buy her something mushy that made her cry; it was Bible just like the one I bought her when we first got married 15 years ago. Her old one was shot. I was able to say the right things on the inside cover to make her weep. Mission accomplished! That sounds really weird to my ears too but yeah making her cry with love and joy, that has become my mission in life.

This year however, no tears (sigh). I was forced to rely on the old faithful and get her what I knew she needed. First as per tradition for Christmas eve she received a cookie sheet - I get her a good one every year. (I get hankerchiefs)
Then Christmas morning it was a new drinking glass set and a french white corningware set. She was pretty excited. (See what I mean? Most of the women I've known would be throwing the cookware at my head! Not her though, she loves it! Yeah, I'm gonna hang on to her...) Even when I mentioned that from now on we have to get rid of something for every new thing we get for the kitchen she didn't blink an eye but said "O.K.". Oh how I Love That Woman!

Turns out that it was a good thing I said that. Her sister Dana bought us a whole new diningware set! For 16!!! The style suits us to a "T" too! Sturdy with rustic colorings but still very lovely! I am completely staggered by the gift!. Of course that means that we have to remove that many pieces from the kitchen. Dea's mom and dad have kind of adopted a Veteran who is in need of kitchen ware. Correction, he was in need; he won't be when we're through with him!

Of course Christmas morning was Sunday and my Usual Sunday off from work so that meant my turn to speak. The Lord was exceptionally kind to me and allowed me just enough quiet time Friday to write it. I don't usually get them done so far in advance or written so quickly. Usually I have to wrestle with it to make sure that it's what God wants and not what "Will" wants ya know? So it was a nice surprise and blessing for me. I will see about adding my notes from that sermon to our other site "The Bible in Context 101". Look for it.

The Holy Spirit reigned all that day for us. The Church service Christmas eve and then Christmas morning were wonderful blessings. Truly a time where you left feeling "full" of His Spirit and His presence. The rest of the day was very "Sabbath like" spent at Deanna's folks place. What a wonderful time and yet very relaxing and peaceful. A day of Rest.

Monday was considered a holiday by the post office so Dea was able to stay home with us. Amanda and Peggy came by and it was great family day. We spent time with the guitars and with video games and even ended the day playing Jacobs new "Lord of the Rings" monopoly game. They added a new twist to the rules with the "one ring" that also helps to keep the game from going too long. It was fun! Jacob won with Deanna a close 2nd. Jessa and I came in fourth and third respectively but we decided we were really the winners anyway "so there! Nyaaa!" Then we giggled some more and put things away for the night.

If there was anything that went even slightly wrong it was that Sunday night or Monday morning early, my furnace quit. I am so thankful that it didn't happen on Christmas eve! It still isn't working but the walls on this house are 12 to 16 inches thick so with the fire place going and a couple of space heaters we are doing just fine.
I hope to replace that old jalopy of a furnace this year if the Lord is willing but for now I just ordered a part and we will wait patiently for it. Another praise for the Lord: The temperatures have been around 40 for the last couple of days and should stay that way for the week. God is SO Good!
Well, that should bring you up to date. I hope I didn't bore you too much! I will try to post some pictures this week. If I can find the camera....hmmmm. Merry Christmas and May the Lord bless Your New Year!
Will.


No comments: