Thursday, December 22, 2005

Here we go again

From Will:

I worked my usual 12 hour day yesterday, clocked out at work and rushed over to the Veterans Administration Hospital. The third Wednesday of every month the band I play in, volunteers to play for the patients there. It had been a stressful day but productive at least and I was nervous about playing because I knew we would be playing songs we hadn't practiced or I just didn't have the music for and would have to "wing it". Just a little more stress. I didn't mind though. When you go to work you expect some stress. When I have to play publicly without a lot of practice there is going to be some stress too, but playing for the Vets always has it's own reward. So you just pile it up and smile your best, because it's all about them you know?
It went pretty well all things considered and I am confident they enjoyed it, which is the whole point after all. I helped load up all of the equipment, drove it to where we keep it, helped unload it and finally headed home. Pretty much a normal "Third Wednesday" where I wake up at 3:45 am, leave for work at 5am, get home at 9:30pm. Last night was different though. As I walked through the door, my head was swimming with all the goings on for the day and the "to do" lists that have to be completed before Christmas eve. My kind wonderful wife waited until I set all my gear down and was comfortable in my chair before giving me the news. I do pray an extra measure of blessings for her and anyone who has to hold onto difficult news. When you love someone and know the news you have to give them will be painful it hurts you too. There is a certain amount of stress that is added to your life especially when you have to hold all that inside, knowing this will be unpleasant for an extended period of time. I know this must have happened to alot of people yesterday. Here we go again
Another close family member has died. Bill Hamilton. Uncle Bill to me. Though of no blood relation he was more of an "uncle" to me than my real ones. This is no fault to my Uncles, but I have never lived close to any of them, but when I was living in Homestead Florida, Bill was just a couple of houses down the block. I would say that gives him an advantage wouldn't you? It was kind of special as a kid to look at the friendships between Bill, his wife Nancy and my Mom and Dad. I can't help but think back to all the fun and trouble we used to get into with David and Joe their sons. There are alot of good memories.
I was thinking of all those times last night and this morning. I was wondering if Bill knew how special it was when one day He decide to move this little car he had from the drive way to the side yard. I don't remember why or for sure even what the car was. I think it was a Datsun but I don't remember. I was only in the fifth or sixth grade mind you and he asked me to move it! I had steered a car sitting on my dads lap but he wanted me to actually get in and "drive" it to the side yard and it was a Standard! He simply got in the passenger seat and calmly and very clearly explained what I needed to do and it worked! I remember how proud I was to have used a clutch. I remember bragging to my older brothers and to David and Joe who all made it out as if it was no big thing (which is what boys their age do) but they couldn't diminish the accomplishment to me. You can imagine the smile it brought me to read Rachel Haucks page this morning when she wrote about Bill teaching her to drive a standard. I never knew that, but yeah it fits. I could write pages and pages and never do him justice. The things Bill has done in his life would truly make a wonderful novel, the kind you can't believe is true but really is. I am proud to have known him and I look forward to seeing him again. To David, Joe, and Nancy I miss you all very much and you know you are in my prayers. Cling to Jesus and Cling to Hope Eternal. I have to go to work now or otherwise this page would be much much longer in honor of a friend gone to Jesus. This makes the 5th one this year I think. I'm losing count, but as long as I know I will see them in heaven it makes my time here without them turn to hope for the future. May the Lord Bless You and Keep You and Make His Countenance to shine upon you and give you peace. Amen. Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

Rachel Hauck said...

Will,

Great post! First of all, that's so wild about Bill teaching you stick, too. I really think he loved doing that. He shoved me behind the wheel of the Datsun once, too. Made me drive to Publix where I worked. He was a wonderful, kind man.

Now, on to Christmas. I am the opposite of Dea. NO KITCHEN appliances allowed. Nothing that plugs in unless it's a computer, or something like that. LOL.

I'm not a kitchen person. Seems like such a waste of time to cook. But, I do. It's cheaper. :)

Bless all the Dea's of the world. But for me and my ilk? Diamonds it is.

And very, very cool about the kids getting guitars. What an awesome present.

Merry Christmas to you all! Love, Rachel