Saturday, May 06, 2006

Measure twice...

Measure twice and cut only once is an old carpenters addage that should be used in a lot of other places. We decided to trade refrigerators with the old 'fridge that Dave and Dottie were going to leave in their old farm house when they turned it over to the new owners. The 'fridges are basically the same but the ice maker in theirs works and ours didn't. We hauled it out of the farm house, put it on a trailer and then unloaded it on my back patio so I could paint it with special appliance paint. When it was time to bring it in I discovered it wouldn't fit through my patio door.
I have been doing a lot of remodeling as you know, so my entrances in and out of the house are different. I got my tape measure and started measuring all my doors. I -through the help of my wife- discovered the best way in with the 'fridge was to come through the back woodshed and into the house that way. I left it in the woodshed for a few days because I had other things to do.
I had to hook up the water line that would make my new 'fridge able to automatically dispense ice.
So, I measured from the water lines to the location of the 'fridge and decided to go through the wall into the laundry room and connect there. I carefully measured where to drill and run the new water line. I also had to carefully measure to know where to cut into the wall in the laundry room to access the water line there. (confused yet?)
I called Dave to make sure I knew how to hook the mess up. (There is instructions on the "kit" I bought but they need to be written in crayon if I am going to understand them)
Everything was ready and I even had the presence of mind to bring the new fridge in and plug it in after I carefully pulled the old fridge out and unplugged it with the food still in it. This way as the old fridge gradually lost its cool the new one would be cooling and we could just transfer the food without having to put it all in coolers.
As I was carefully pushing the new 'fridge in place it bumped. It bumped into the counter. I looked. I looked again. Sure enough the new 'fridge is an inch and a half too wide to fit. As I looked I decided that maybe I could trim the edge piece off the counter and then it would fit. While I was trying to figure out the best way to do that I looked up and noticed that the new 'fridge is also about two and half inches too tall. I would have to completely remove the cabinets to make this work.
Dave and Dottie have a new freshly painted Fridge for their old farmhouse.

I measured the doors. I measured the walls. I measured the water lines. I just never measured the two different refridgerators or the space I was going to put them...Sigh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it always the the way. We worry about all the little things until it gives us an ulcer and completly forget the big thing right in front of our face. Maybe there is a message here for us all.Anyhow Dave and Dottie were Blessed.