Saturday, September 16, 2006

Deanna told you I have a new chainsaw. That isn't entirely correct. The chainsaw she was referring to is probably 15 to 20 years old. For me getting that chainsaw was kind of like Christmas. You see, I was given it because it wasn't running and it didn't look like it was ever going to. I tried a few things I had heard might work and they did. That was the Christmas part. I am not a mechanic. I am the third son of an exceptional Mechanic who has that certain natural frame of mind that makes for good mechanical skills. I think my son may have that, but as for me, I don't have that.
I like motors and things that "run" but when it comes to fixing them, I would rather take them to someone that knows "how", then figure it out for myself. Of course doing that takes money and when you don't have any to spare... You are left with trying to figure it out for yourself. I usually make things worse. (sigh).
This time though, it worked. I was so excited that I have been telling anyone who would listen. I won't bore you with all the details but I was very proud. My free chainsaw worked very hard for four full days.
You caught that didn't you? The past tense in the last sentence? It's ok, I'm not upset and I think it is fixable. It just might cost me more for parts (If I can get 'em) than to buy a new one. I told you it was 15 to 20 years old. It ran very well -while the parts and pieces were falling off of it. By the end of the third day of constant use it would only run until the motor got hot and then it would have to sit and cool before it would run again. That was ok too as it gave you time to load up what you cut. By the end of the fourth day I was replacing screws and retainers for various parts that had simply vibrated off and got lost amongst the felled trees and the tall grass. Yesterday I was hoping for day number 5 when the proverbial straw fell. The "rip cord" for the starter broke. That was pretty much the end. I could fix that fairly easy (I think) if I can get the right part but I would still have a chainsaw that will only run for a few minutes every hour. That problem is also fixable if I can find the part for that (gas tank liner) and all of the other various things that are wrong would also be worth fixing for this fantastic little saw but it would be better money spent to buy a lesser saw to use until I have the time to spare for this one. I don't mind that my saw is broke; the gift was that it ran at all. The gift was three good days of labor with a fourth day that it ran well enough. I will accept that gift with much gratefulness.
My backyard is now a mess. My neighbors field looks much better but I have much more to cut. I just don't know how. My backyard is full of branches that need to be "shortened" and wood to split. (thank you Seth for the loan of your splitter!) I am still trying to get it all stacked neatly but now it is Cranfest time and it all will have to wait until after we are done with that.
The kids are singing with the "Crantastic Singers" again this year and I have been asked to play and sing three songs in the Old Town Hall on both the Friday and Saturday of Cranfest. Deanna and her Dad, Uncle and Cousin will also be featured during those days for their singing group "The Dad's and the Daughters". They are so good I wish everyone could hear them. I also have agreed to M.C. the big Gospel Sing that happens on Saturday night. That usually lasts two to three hours. In my opinion, its the best thing that happens at Cranfest. Again, I wish everyone could hear it and be there for it.
Dea is at work this morning and then she probably won't come home. She will head straight for the CranFest office. The kids have Crantastic Singers practice this morning and I'm not sure what I will be doing. Dave (Dea's Dad) is going to need help at some point putting up fence for "crowd control". I am supposed to start putting up signs to help people find the parking lots and there is a trailer that needs to be converted into a float for the CranFest parade. If I can't do any of those things this morning then there is always house cleaning. With all that Dea does, I don't mind a little extra house cleaning.
Well, time to take the kids to practice,

May all the Fruits and Gifts of the Spirit be yours!
Will.

No comments: