Tuesday, November 07, 2006

I hope you voted today

It has always been my belief that if you did not vote, you cannot complain. I hope everyone did their duty and voted, because that's what it is "a duty". We owe to those who went before us and gave their all so that we could have the privilege of voting. Anyway, that being said, I hope that you did vote.
Things have been busy here for the last couple of weeks. I had the chance to attend a "wonderful" conference this last week in Wausau. They had many pertinent subjects for me to take classes on. Things are changing in the tourism industry and we need to be able to adapt Cranfest to fit those changes. It was a great time and a great learning experience. Of course one of my favorite things was the evening that we spent at a local art museum. They had a dessert and wine tasting evening for us and we were allowed to wander all over the museum looking at some beautiful works of art. Some of them dated back to the early 1800's. It was a very nice evening and I enjoyed it after spending my afternoon with a crisis management consultant discussing terrorism and the pandemic.
I decided to get my hair cut the other day. I was tired of the headaches of all this hair. I gave Sue the go ahead to cut it like I had it when I was in college. She loved it and now so do I. I think she cut 5 or 6 inches off of it. When we were done there was this huge pile of hair on the floor. I had been trying to grow it out to donate it to locks of love for cancer patients, but just could not make it the last two inches. Too many headaches. Now people keep touching it. They all come over and have to feel it. So far everyone loves it, except I'm not so sure that Will likes it, but he has not complained.
We are cleaning out the garage. Sorting, moving and reorganizing everything. What a mess. I hate trying to decide what to keep and if I'm going to keep it what do I do with it? Then there are Will's tools. It's pretty hard to know what to do with a tool that you have no idea what it does. Does it go in the plumbing or in the electrical. Is it for working on cars or a woodworking tool? Some things are obvious, but some baffle me.
The kids are great. I think that Jake is now as tall as me. If not, he's pretty close. Jessalyn is growing fast too. Both are changing so much on the inside too. I had an empty nest moment the other day when I realized that both of my children will have graduated high school in 8 years (Hopefully). Sometimes they drive me crazy, but I don't know what we will do when they leave us. Of course with Will being my best friend and favorite companion, I imagine that I will not get bored. I'm sure that we will find plenty to do. Of course we have always planned on traveling. I would like to travel with the kids too, but until I go full time at the post office, that is not possible to a great extent.
I have a concert with the Dads and Daughters to do in Rockford IL on the 19th. We are looking forward to that, especially since we will see family down there too. I just love to hang out with my relatives. Then on the 29th the Dads and Daughters have been asked to do a television concert over in Wisconsin Rapids. I don't know many details about that one, but it should be a blast.
Thanksgiving will be at our house this year. Just a small group of us with other parts of our family heading out of town or having turkey with inlaws etc. We just will have probably about 10 or so here, not many. Then it's time to work on Christmas Eve. I have already figured out the menu pretty much and it should not be a big deal. I cut down on the number of appetizers this year and I think there will only be about 10 different kinds, but that always grows as time goes by. We also have about 16 gift baskets to make this year.
Christmas caroling is the 2nd of December and between now and then we need to put up our holiday display that Cranfest sponsors. We are thinking about setting up another line of Christmas trees this year. These will be donated and decorated by local groups. We will pay the electric and it will help to decorate our little town of less than 300 people.
Well, time to go and sort some more stuff.
God bless and have a great day.

No comments: