Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Still packing!

Jacob's eye is much better. He still has to wear the glasses, but the swelling is gone and the pain is not so bad any more. He even is getting a little better at taking the drops.
Did I mention that the dog is also having problems with his ears so I am back to the drops for him too?
We leave tomorrow evening and I am not even close to being ready. We went last night and got a memory card for the camera, food for the trip and more junk to use. Of course, I forgot one thing (probably more than that, but one that I remember) Garbage bags.....Good thing that I stop in at Walmart every morning for "donuts" for work isn't it?
Had a fire in the woods here the other night. Lots of fire trucks and the Dept. of Natural Resources. Amanda and I sat out in the front yard watching all the action. It was less than a mile away and Will and I had to call it in. It started with a fireball while I was outside "pottying" the dog. Grew very big, very fast. Kind of scary. The main thing that I remembered the next day is all of those 911 calls that they save for the future. Here I was going to be immortalized on tape and being me right in the middle of the phone call while I had my head out the open window looking at the fire "I SWALLOWED A BUG!!". So now forever more there will be a tape somewhere with me coughing and hacking and actually telling the dispatcher that I had swallowed a bug. Typical!
This seems to be a pattern with me though...not the swallowing bugs part, but the being remembered on tape for goofy things. Once when I was out on a shrimp boat as my summer job, we actually were on our way out of the bay when we came upon an older guy that had capsized his boat and then had a heart attack in the water. He was clinging to his boat. We only had 4 people on board. One jumped in the water, two stayed on deck and helped. That left me to talk to the Coast Guard. Fat chance.
Imagine a 16 year that had never been on a boat before talking to the Coast Guard to give directions......it went something like this....
"This is the Coast Guard, where are you located?"
"On a boat"
"Which boat?"
"A big red and black one."
"Where is the boat?"
"Out on the ocean"
"What location?"
"The water part, by a bridge, next to the guy in the water"

You think I'm kidding? I had no clue. Thankfully the Coast Guard man was very patient. We ended up doing the "I spy" routine and then when they finally arrived it was where do you see us 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc. I remember they were at 11 o'clock. What an experience! The poor man probably went home and told his wife "Honey, you'll never believe what happened at work today." The best part is that the man lived. Of course we left there feeling good.
Then when we got out on the big water....I got sick, a hurricane changed course and we were caught in it for about 8 hours. Did I mention that the captain got sick and we had to come in before he died? Then on the trip back in they pulled in some stabilizing weights and one fell on my foot and broke some bones. Then about 4 days later I went swimming at the beach with friends and was stung from top to bottom by a man o' war jellyfish.
Let me tell you those couple of weeks were not my shining moment. Of course truly, I have to admit that much of my life is like that. Will is married to another Lucy Ricardo. If it can happen it will happen to me. I've long ago come to terms with the idea that God has me here for "comic relief".
Should I mention the time that I ripped my pants off my body (well from the pocket on the back down) while on the mail route and all I did was get out of the car.
What about the time that I spilled a whole brand new bottle of oil on the hard wood floors?
What about the time that I poured "bromo seltzer" into the toilet to see what it would do and created a huge volcano of white foam?
Then there's the time that we "toilet papered" Will's car while he was at his bachelor party using industrial brown paper towels. That was not so bad, but being me we decided to attach it to the door knob of Danny's house. Reached out to hook it to the door knob and Danny opened the door. We ran like idiots and they came pouring out of that house like ants.
Just this week I have managed to pour an entire cup (jumbo size) of french vanilla cappucino onto the floor of my car. I wasn't even trying to drink it yet. Just holding it. Thankfully, it hit the mat and no where else so I just took it out and hosed it down.
Things happen to me.....there's no stopping it. You just have to roll with the flow. You've seen the bumper sticker that says "life happens". I'm living proof. I'll be walking down the street next to 10 other people and I guarantee that I'm the one that the pigeon will "bless" if you get my meaning. Believe me I get nervous when a flock of Canadian geese fly overhead.

Case in point.......How many people do you know that can cut the end of their thumb off with a hatchet? Especially when my thumb was not on the top of the wood but on the side opposite the hatchet.
How many people do you know that can get their toe stuck in an escalator?

I'm telling you things happen to me. Poor Will, what he has to put up with......

"Lucy you got some 'splaining to do".

Have a great day.
dea

No comments: