Thursday, February 07, 2008

I love computers! Really!

I have always loved computers. That doesn't mean I'm very good with them. Darn it.
I have often said: to err is human but to really mess things up takes a computer. It's still true.

I have broadband now (sort of. see the broadband saga below if you haven't already.). Better yet, when the tech came to install my new modem he upgraded me to a unit that is also a router! Whoo hoo! I can now network the two computers I have running and include the third one I have when I get that one up and running. Right. Best laid plans of mice and men.

I have a new printer/scanner that I have been waiting to install. I figured now would be the best time. I will install the new printer and set up my network all at once. Ah hah. Everything got ugly from there. Real ugly.

If you remember, Of the two computers I have running, One is a bottom of the line bargain basement computer from D*ll. It was new back when wind*ws XP was brand new. It's the one I'm typing on right now. The other is a V-Class that has had just about everything upgraded. It works nice! Sort of. Darin Oakes built it and then gave it to me because we thought computer number one was going to die. Silly us. Anyway the printer hooked up to the v-class just fine and worked nice. Until. Until I tried to network the two computers. It worked but only one way. I must have messed up a setting because it would allow me to pull files from the old computer but not the other way around. No big deal, I will figure it out eventually. I think. Then again, maybe not.

See, for some strange reason, doing this has affected the new computers ability to get online. Or rather to stay online. If I shut everything off and then turn everything back on I can have both computers online for about twenty minutes. Then the newer computer quits surfing. Notice I said "surfing". I can download my emails just fine. If you "Ping it" it works an is connected ok. It just won't let you browse. I have checked and double checked my settings. They are right. I have called the Internet providers and they can't help either. I have uninstalled my original firewall and turned my Wind*ws fire wall back on. Nothing helps.

The BIGGEST reason for wanting broadband (not the only reason, just the most important) so I can video chat with my family in Florida. That webcam is attached to the computer with cool graphics card and the really Neat sound system. (the other doesn't have such luxuries). The computer that now will only allow me online for a few minutes and then after that, I can get emails and that is it! Arrrrrrrgh!

I love computers. Really I do! I have tried system restore several times. Nada. Well, there is a long list of things to try and will get through them eventually Lord willing. Until then, our posts and general computer communications may be "hit and miss" if you know what I mean.

I was going to just toss all three computers in the trash and start over with three new ones
except:
I need the files.
I am too poor
I am not completely nuts (despite popular opinion to the contrary)

So, regardless of where you are in this great big world, I you hear a loud scream and the sound of breaking glass and plastic you will know it's me.

Until then May the Lord Bless You and Keep you
Will

No comments: