Saturday, February 23, 2008

It's spring! ( I can dream can't I?)

Yesterday was our first day over 20 degrees in 2 months ( with maybe a couple exceptions). It felt like spring. Of course that has it's good and bad points. With as much snow as we have it is going to be wet until it's all gone. They have almost run out of places to put the extra snow. They are now piling it up in vacant lots that the city owns. The airport field next to the runway is full. The fair grounds are full. Still there is more snow to get rid of.

Since it supposed to be in the 30's the next three days, lots of it will melt. That makes lots and lots of puddles. But 30 degrees feels like summer after -30 wind chill for days on end. Now my mind in whirling with all of the stuff that I need to do. No rest for the weary.

I take the kids to the local water park tomorrow. It's our free community day and the whole village empties into Jel*ystone park to enjoy the water slides etc. I will even have to put on a suit and ride the lazy river and sit in the hot tub. Just to suprise my kids I may even ride the slide. I love the slides they just don't know it. I'm not sure how my bum foot will like the 100+ stairs to get up there though. Oh well, it's good excercise. Our friends Vicki and Curt will come too so that I have adult supervision. I'm so wild you know.

Of course with it being up here in the snowy north, at least I won't be the only white as a ghost person there who should not be in a swimsuit EVER! I'm considering getting one of those scuba wet suits that suck everything up and make you skinny. I have no idea where it all goes, but it seems to dissapear in those things.

This week is a busy week for all of us. We are trying to get life together before I go to the Governor's Conference next weekend. I leave Monday and will be back on Wednesday morning. That means I need to have meals for 3 days, clothes ready and waiting for three days, practises covered as far as pick up and drop off points. All of that will have to be ready before I go. I have a to do list that is three pages long, but I know I'll never get it done. I think I either need a maid or a personal assistant. Truthfully, probably both.

Well, Jake and I did the orthodontist and eye doctor day the other day. He is now wearing glasses and I think they help whether he wants to admit it or not. I notice that he wears them on purpose and I don't have to remind him often to put them on. He also has to have braces. Whoopee. $5890. That really is a painful number. The good news is that he will only have to wear them for less than two years total and the first three to four months he has to wear an expander, not the full braces. Just when we get done with this it will be time for him to get his deviated septum fixed ( a nose job). By the time he's 19, he'll be a whole new man.

When we went to LaCrosse, I took him to a buffet. We had plenty of time to eat, so I figured he could pick and chose and enjoy. Boy did he! I went to get salad and came back and sat down. Here comes my 5' 10" son who weighs 145 lbs with his plate. On this plate was 1 grilled cheese, 2 breadsticks (big ones), 3 pieces of pizza and a cheese burger. It was huge! I continue eating and he goes for a second plate. A plate full of spaghetti and some corn on the side ( his Mom had told him that he had to eat some vegetables). He then goes back for another plate of spaghetti. Then another plate of something else ( I don't remember what), then an icecream cone and then orange sorbet. Meanwhile I had a salad and then a reasonable plate of orange chicken and veggies with a little baked fish. Guess who will be wearing the whole meal on her butt for the next year and guess who will not. After all of that he said that he was about 80% filled up so we could go back to the mall and wait for his eye appointment. 80%???????? Where does he have room in that skinny body? On one hand I was proud that he had such a good appetite even if it was not really healthy choices ( I let him have what he wanted for a treat, no forced salad eating etc) on the other hand it was very depressing knowing how I would pay for the meal and that he who needs to gain some weight would not. It stinks being old.

Well, mail count started yesterday afternoon. I'm really looking forward to it for once Every other time I have been working someone else's route during the count. This time it's just mine. I know that my route is bigger than they think it is and I hope that in the end they agree with me. There is a very real chance that after this count they will add onto my route from other routes and I will go full time. That would mean at least every other weekend off. I have not had weekends off in almost 10 years. I would really enjoy not working 6 days a week. It's not that the hours are long and I'm not really complaining (well sort of). Although I don't work many 12 hours days like Will does, I still have to go in 6 days a week. I still have to find time around it for housework etc. If I could get weekends, it would give me one morning home that I could catch up on things. I'm a morning person and I get busy really getting stuff done every morning and then have to stop and go to work. By the time I get home, I've put in a full day and doing anything is very hard. I just don't seem to have the energy.

Well time to get back to housework. Oh boy....sigh.
Have a great day!
dea

No comments: