Friday, February 29, 2008

Update!

Well, we got back from Uncle Bills funereal, but truly it was a celebration of his life. That's the great thing about Christian goodbyes. We know we'll see them again!

You know, I've really been getting soft over the years. I mean besides around my middle! I mean soft hearted. The more time I spend in prayer, the softer I get. I can hardly pray at all anymore without getting teary eyed. This can be a big problem when you consider how much praying I do when I'm driving! Anyway, this became brilliantly apparent to me at the services yesterday.
First, we got good news about Uncle Lloyd Oakes who is in the hospital. He's not out of the woods so to speak, but he is improving greatly and we are grateful but we're still continuing to pray.
Anyway, There was a part of the service that was open to comments and remembrances of Bill.
I have a great story about him and this is me right? Of course I want to open my big mouth and say something!
Only I can't.
I know before I make a sound that I'll never make it through the story. I can feel my throat just tighten right up and I know the only sound I'm going to be able to make is a squeak.
That's ok.
Despite popular opinions to the contrary, I don't believe being quiet will kill me. There were enough other stories given that mine wasn't really necessary. Besides, what are blogs for?!?

Don't panic!
This won't take long.

Years ago I had to make a trip I couldn’t afford, to do something I’d never done before and really didn’t know how to do. I needed to replace some floor joists under my house in Florida so I could sell it. If I didn't sell it soon the bank was going to take it.
The termites had really done some damage to the house and I had to take the last of my money to try to fix it. I only had a week to drive to Florida from Wisconsin; Fix the Joists; fix the floor damage and drive back to Wisconsin.
If I didn’t make it in that time, I wouldn’t have a job waiting for me when I got back.
Can you feel the pressure?

When I got to Florida there was Uncle Bill, eager to help.
Look back at that word “eager”.
Enlarge it in your mind and make it bounce up and down with anticipation. That was Uncle Bill.
He'd brought his motor home over to my place because part of the floor we had to replace included our bathroom. This way we could use his while we worked.

The whole time Bill was right by my side. 68 or 69 years old -I think- and I couldn’t have kept him out of the crawlspace under my home. Something told me he would’ve gotten ornery if I had tried. He truly was a very big help.
The poor guy, everywhere there was an old rusty nail poking out of a board his poor bald head found it.
I know he bloodied his head more than twice; but you heard the “thumps” a lot more than that. Still, he kept a great disposition through-out and his stories while we were working kept me from thinking about everything that was riding on getting this fixed in the allotted time and what would happen if I didn’t. There were other people who helped me at that time (my brother Earl teaching me how to change out a toilet for example) but I know for a fact I never would have been able to finish that project without him.
I have always said, “Love” is what you “do”. There is a prime example. He wasn’t perfect, but for some reason, it’s only the “love” that I remember. There is a lesson in there, but I’ll let you find it for yourself.

May the Lord bless you with People who “love” you and with people you can “love”.
Will

No comments: