Saturday, July 05, 2008

News from Jam and Jelly central

It's summer here as it probably is at your house (except our friends in Australia, who even in winter have summer temperatures compared to our winters). Around here things are really starting to pick up as plants start producing fruits and veggies. That means the work in that department starts to pick up for our family too. Yesterday afternoon the whole family spent over two hours working in the garden together. For the most part it was a great time. Of course there are always those "Awe Mom...." moments, but they get over them sooner or later and things go on. Will and Jacob built a fence around my garden this year and that has really helped to keep the deer out. Before the fence went up, just this year the deer ate a whole row of garlic plants, some of my onion sets and 7 potato plants.

We're really proud of the garden this year. All 50+ tomato plants and 40+ pepper plants are growing well and are starting to show fruit. It's exciting. My watermelon and muskmelon plants are even growing....something never before seen in my garden (mostly due to the deer). It doesn't matter if they like the taste, they try every plant. Things are looking good.

On Thursday a friend of our who owns a strawberry/apple/cabbage farm invited our church out to pick strawberries for free. I went out with Jessalyn and my Mom, and Uncle Ken and between us we picked 4 dish pans full. I spent yesterday making jam. It took between 6-7 hours to make 7 batches of jam. Sugar free, low sugar, strawberry freezer jam, strawberry banana freezer jam and regular strawberry jam. It was fun, but last night for the first time in a long time, I had problems with my foot again. That in it's own way is a good thing. Now I know that it will stay good unless I stress it out by standing too long in one place. Helpful knowledge for me.

I baked homemade drop shortcakes yesterday and we had strawberry shortcake. Will and Jessalyn had it as both lunch and supper. I know, I know I'm a terrible Mom, but it was the 4th and it was there. They liked it! Who am I to argue?

Last night was our local fireworks display. It was the best ever! Our little fire department works hard during Cranfest selling Brats, steaks, burgers etc in their beer tent. It's the only place beer is allowed on the festival grounds and it is monitored. They do a great job keeping the peace and with them doing that the rest of the festival stays family friendly. Anyway, all the proceeds that they get go towards fireworks, and then local businesses donate and to make a terrible pun "THEY DO A BANG UP JOB". It was beautiful and I don't know if I have ever seen such huge fireworks. The outside edges of the explosions were huge and wonderful. We really did "oooh and ahhhhh".

Well it seems that band has hit the dirt for Jessalyn. She is not really enjoying the flute and is worried that with Show choir and all the practises she will have trouble keeping up with her homework. I think it's probably a smart move. Being in both would be a lot of wear on a 12 year old. Truth be told, she loves singing more than about anything.

The kids leave Wednesday for "Lifefest" a Christian Music festival held over by Oshkosh. They will spend the night over there and attend for a couple of days. Jessalyn will be staying until Saturday, but the boys have to come home on Friday morning because both male chaperones have prior committments. I don't think that Jake's real upset about that. He's a little nervous about being left out, but I really think that it will be fine. I think that one of the chaperones is really looking forward to spending time with Jake so that he can get to know him better. My friend Vicki will be going too, so I'm sure that he will have people to wander where he wants to wander. His Grammy in Florida should be there to go with him. She'd love the music and he'd love to hang out with her. Maybe she should think about that for next year???? It might end up being about the same time as the Iola Car Show. Seems like an even swap to me.....music for Grammy and cars for Grampy?

The Oakes Family Gathering went well. Devils Lake is a wonderful place to visit. I want to take the family back some day. We can have a picnic, grill out and Will and I can take a walk and enjoy each other, while our friend Luke (who volunteered) can take the kids on a hike to the top of the 500' bluff. I'd love to go up. We'll see. It's not the going up that gets me...it's the coming down with my knees. That's the one thing that still hurts. I'll probably try it though, just to say that I did it. Man I sound like I'm old and falling apart, but I was born with my knee problems, so they don't count!

Well time to go to work. The day after a holiday usually means lots of mail for us. Yuck. I know, I know, job security. It's just that it's Saturday, which means I have to babysit the new substitutes as well as do my own work. Makes for a long day.

Hope you have a great day!
dea

No comments: