Tuesday, January 31, 2006

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas (finally)

Not that I am complaining about the warmer weather, but last Friday when it was 56 out and none of us were wearing coats it felt a little odd. Scratch that-very odd. Then the rains came on Saturday and it rained all day long. Sunday afternoon the rains changed to snow. Monday morning school was delayed two hours because of snow. Today it's supposed to be almost 40 so that snow will melt and then tonight we are supposed to get 3 inches more. It actually looked like winter there for a day or two. Now I think it might try it again. What a strange January.
February 2nd marks the 16th anniversary of Will proposing to me on the radio. He proposed on Ground Hog Day so that he could remember the date easier. How romantic. We talk about it often, especially about how I tried to hide so that no one would see that I had spilled the coke that I had just brought him down the front of my shirt. OK so most people would try to hide that, but remember this was the RADIO. How many people did I really think could see me?
I suppose one of the neatest things about it was how many people heard the proposal and wanted to be part of it. The wedding dress lady gave me my $200 veil for free and knocked 10% of the dress just because she had been moved to tears. The plate rental people threw in the punch bowl for free because they had heard it. The wedding invitation ingravers gave us a discount (small, but a discount) because they had heard it. What is it about a wedding that makes people feel so good?
Will's being on the radio was a great experience for both of us. I learned to nip the jealousy thing in the bud early. If I had not trusted my hubby I could have gone crazy with all of those groupies that were around him. Will enjoyed the creative flow that he was able to just "let go" for the most part. Now he uses his music and speaking for that as well as the blog. People enjoyed listening to my hubby and that was an ego booster for both of us. BUT there were a few things that were funny. Listeners kept calling the hospital for updates when we were delivering Jacob. They were actually trying to get transfered into our room phone. Then there were the prisoners that had listened to his "Cryin' lovin' or leavin'?" show that called. I didn't mind them writing him at the station, but after we moved up here a guy called to let Will know that he had been released from prison and would be traveling through Wisconsin. SCARY. We had our phone number changed to an unlisted number right away.
Well, he's been out of radio for the most part for 13 years. He has done a couple of commercials for friends, and the radio station has offered him work, but they can't afford him. I don't know that he would want to go back into it full time, but I think he would get a hoot out of a part time job again, not that he has the time, but maybe someday. For now he'll just have to be happy being my favorite DJ.
Hope you all have a blessed day. Enjoy your friends and family because you don't know how long you will have each other here on earth.
dea

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Groupies????
Darn. I missed all of that part. In fact, No one even told me that there was a "that part".

Anonymous said...

Hey Will & family! Your Cousin here! I'll be more than to send ya'll a little cold air....we're finaly a few degrees ABOVE 0 here in Anchorage! But I can sure relate to that melting / refreezing phase! It's no picnic!

Take care,
G:-)