Wednesday, January 25, 2006

weather STILL holding

We are not sure how long this weather will last, but most of us are very glad it is still here. The whole month of January has been in the 30's. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be almost 50 here. What a change from our normal below zero weather. Of course the cranberry growers are really hating it and I'm sorry about their problem. You see they usually are sanding their beds at this time. Sounds strange doesn't it? Basically they let a large bunch of ice form over the berries and then they drive their dump trucks over the bed distributing sand. When the ice melts the sand falls down onto the beds and helps keep the berries healthy and the beds stable. It's so warm that there isn't much ice to speak of and that creates a problem.
I also feel sorry for the snowmobilers in the state. So much of our winter economy depends on the snow being here and there is none. We have probably had only 10 inches total the whole season. I am even starting to hope that we get snow just for them. It really doesn't have to be cold to snow, so it could snow and stay warmer. Besides warmer weather during the snow fall makes for great snowballs and snow people. My kids are really dissapointed in the "no snow thing". I might have to have Will's Mom start praying for snow for us. Every time that she has prayed for snow for up here, we have had snow BY THE BUCKET FULL! Usually that is when she is on her way up here and wants snow for her visit. Although she is not coming up right now, I'm sure she could still handle the assignment.
My Aunt, a couple of friends and I felt a need to start doing some "mission" work at the local nursing home. I call it mission work because we are a mission based church, but some of the people in the group "needed a mission" in life. They were just itching for a new direction in their service for God. It was just placed on our hearts to start working with the "old people" in the nursing homes. Especially 3 homes, because they are pretty much just where people are "thrown away" waiting for them to die. It is really sad. It really upsets me because "old people" areone of my favorite things. Just think of all of that knowlege and experience just sitting there going to waste. Think of the stories they can tell. I love history and they were there, right in the middle of it! Well, this whole thing has blossomed and I am glad. God is really moving in people's hearts and we are now starting a monthly schedule at 3 of them and probably will incorporate 2 or 3 more. With my work schedule I can really be involved and I am so glad. We are going to go and just sing with them. Not really a program, but there are a couple of local groups that are all retired or have flexible schedules and that allow us all to go and visit. We are planning on making it the 4th Thursday of every month with a few Mondays thrown in alongside. We are still making walker bags (no, these are not bags to put their walkers in). They are little bags like envelopes that tie onto the walker so that the resident can put their little wallets etc in it and hold onto to them safely while they walk. We are just letting the Lord work in people's lives and giving them the chance to decide for themselves whether to join us or not. Visiting nursing homes is not everyone's cup of tea and I don't want to guilt people into going.
Well time to get kids up and around. Have a blessed day!
dea

1 comment:

Joel Hayes said...

Same here Dea. it's been almost spring like and we haven't had snow sense Mid December when we had a little over a foot of snow. I think we will get a late winter snow sometime in late Feburary or march. I hope it gets cold soon cause I have plenty of wood to burn up still and I don't like to carry it over to the next winter. see ya.