Monday, January 08, 2007

Does anyone have a good duck recipe?

I stopped at our local super store the other day and found a GREAT deal. They had all of their frozen smoked turkey breasts(bone in), smoked whole turkeys, ducks and frozen gooses (Yes I know that the technical term is geese, but I only bought the one, not a whole flock). Anyway, all of them were on sale for 25 cents a pound. They needed the room and knew that there would not be much of a market for them after the holidays. So........I bought a BUNCH! When you can get a 5 pound smoked turkey breast for $1.25 you take advantage. Besides they have an expiration date of May 2008 on them. I spent right around $23 and saved about $190. I filled a good portion of the freezer. Now I am prepared for those days when we end up with 10 or more people to feed , which happens often. The only problem is, I have never cooked a duck in my life. They were too expensive. So I am asking if anyone has any good duck recipes?
I taught the upstairs Sunday School class yesterday. Usually I teach a smaller class downstairs that is covering basics. They really get DEEP upstairs. When they asked me in front of people, I could not turn it down, but I really wanted to. They said it was "stretching myself". Funny-they weren't the one teaching. I had these big plans to teach something that I had been working on in my own mind for a while. No dice. I ended up teaching a lesson that we had been working on in our other class. I have not heard much feedback, I think that I scared them. It was interesting, but I will stick to my little class and leave the big one for the others.
I took the day off work today. I have been so busy with everything for a couple of months now. Think back to how busy your days are during the holidays and then add working at the Post Office to them. I need to regroup and function here at the house without anyone else here. I love my family, but sometimes, I need to be able to just work at my own pace without anyone else around. Of course the minute I said that the things that everyone else needed me to do started piling up. I don't mind though, I guess.
The weather here has been not the typical January weather. Many years at this time it is -30 windchill factor. The other day it was 54 above. Weird. We all keep laughing because our friend Seth married our friend Claire who is from Australia and has been waiting for snow. She's still waiting. I think it would be nice for her if we could get a day of snow that piled up a good 8 inches or so. I know my kids would love it!
You've heard of "cabin fever", well I've got "travelin' fever". I am my parent's daughter after all. With my job, traveling was just not an option before. I was on call 6 days a week and if you didn't work you didn't get paid. Now I earn annual and sick leave. I can take a day off and still get paid. What a concept! I am ready to do a little traveling, except that we have an apartment to finish, house to finish, yard to work in etc., etc., I don't see much hope for it before I go to the Wisconsin Governor's Conference on Tourism in March. That will have to be my big splurge for awhile. I look forward to it each and every year. I learn so much. What an experience! I guess that my travelin' fever will have to wait some more, but I can dream can't I?
Well, time to get Jessalyn up for school. Jake is all ready. Once they're gone......I can regroup. Have a blessed day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deanna
You certainly found some delightful bargins. We have cooked duck, a long time ago, but I think we just roasted it. They were one's we dressed ourselves. The Chinese love duck and squab, and have lots of recipes from all regions. I have a couple of Madame Wong's cookbooks that have some interesting ways to cook duck, but you could find stacks on the net, but it would be good to find someone that has had firsthand success.

When you teach someone, you seem to learn more than if you are just a participant.

Bob Gould

Rebekah said...

Hey Will. I asked Joel to send me your Blog address but he didnt. Anyway, I found it so here I am.
Check in on you later
Rebekah