Sunday, January 28, 2007

They're alive!

The kids are feeling better. Before they were too sick to fight. Now they are well enough to argue. Other mothers will understand that gauge of wellness. It is a strange feeling to have your two children in a room for 3 days and never hear one argument. Jessa is about two days ahead of Jacob, but his fever broke last night, so he's coming along. I think that she will go back to school tomorrow. I'm not sure about him, but I think he will try it.
On Friday it was almost 50 degrees!! That melted most of the snow and left a very hard crust on top. It also left black ice everywhere. I ended up falling on my duffer on the mail route. It's suprising how quickly you can get up, even at my age, in order to make sure no one sees you laying there. Thank God it was me that fell though. I have many old people on my route and 4 of them are "hardships". That means that I hand deliver their mail to a box by their door or in their porch. The place that I was delivering mail to when I fell is to the home of a lady in her 90's. I hate to think of what would have happened, if it had been her falling. Most carriers think of hardships as a terrible thing, but I would much rather this type of thing happen, than to have them fall and possibly hurt themselves badly.
On my way home I stopped in at Mom and Dad's to check out some stuff for them. They are at my brother's house and Dad needed to know some stuff. Well, I shoveled the walk for them (and Dana), put the shovel on the porch turned around to step down and BANG there I went on my duffer again. No good deed goes unpunished, I guess. Last night and today, I'm dealing with the bruises. Why couldn't I have really landed on my backside. At least my behind has plenty of padding to break my fall. I do not have fat knees! Why does a person have to hit their hands and knees and then fall backwards?
I started painting in one of the apartment bedrooms last night. I also did some more taping and gooping. I only did the stuff that I could reach though. When I climbed the ladder and my knee gave out, I decided that the ladder was not a good idea last night. Today I hope to finish taping gooping and do most of the painting after church. The whole area is small enough that most of my time is spent moving the construction materials that we need out of the way so that I can do an area. Then after I finish, I have to move the stuff again to do another area. Time consuming, but worth it.
We hope to finish painting and put down the carpet tomorrow. Then Tuesday we will move them over. Lots of stuff we will still need to finish, but they need to be out of where they are by the end of the month. That will give them a couple of days to clean. It's going to be a huge adjustment for all of us, but I think that it will work out fine in the end.
Peggy and I are planning on working on quilts among other things. She and I have enough material saved between us that we could probably make about 100 or more quilt tops. Kind of scary isn't it? I just love planning quilts, but have only had the chance to make a couple due to lack of an area to do them and the time to finish them. I plan on changing that soon. Need a quilt?
Well, time to get ready for church.
I hope you all have a blessed, safe day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You certainly lead an exciting life,no spare time to get bored.Your part of the world looks so beautiful with all the snow, just a bit chilly.It seems to be a time for hitting the deck, what with Seth crash landing and all.I hadn't heard the term "duffer" before, in that context.
Love to you all.

Bob