Saturday, April 26, 2008

It's garden time again.

Well, at least it's plowing time again. Will bought a tiller last year, so this year he can really till my garden well. It will help with the weed crop too (although as I always say, I grow a garden so that I can grow a new crop of weeds each year). With food prices the way they are, I am hoping that my garden will suppliment family and friends food supply. I'm growing about everything that I can think of, even okra. My Aunt Joyce would be proud of me, she always grew the best okra. Deep fried okra is wonderful and I love to put okra in my gumbo's especially my veggie gumbo. The only thing that I'm not planting is sweet peas. I have some sugar snaps, but real sweet peas take so much work for what you get. It's just easier to buy the can.

I bought strawberry plants yesterday and about 30 roots of asparagus. That is why Will is plowing so early. I have to get them into the ground. Of course both crops will not be producing anything until at least next year and it will take the asparagus about 4-6 to get really established, but you have to start somewhere.

Jessalyn is in Washington DC right now. They are on their second day of sightseeing. I hope that she is having a great time. They leave Washington tomorrow for Gettysburg. I wish I was with them. Gettysburg is one of the most awesome places that I have ever been to and I would love to go back. She will be home Monday after that whirlwind trip. I took the day off so that I can go and pick her up. They are not sure what time they will get in. Most parents whose children have gone before say that they come in exhausted and just colapse into bed. I imagine she will be the same way.

Jake had a room full of cousins last night. Since Jessa's gone, he decided that he would take advantage of the situation and enjoy friends. It was ok with me. I threw together some homemade pizza and we all pigged out.

Today it's supposed to be cooler than normal, so I'm not sure what we'll be up to after I get home from work. I had planned on painting Jessalyn's room and maybe that will work. I had hoped to get it done while she is gone. What a suprise for her when she gets home.

Will's birthday is Tuesday so we'll have to do a birthday dinner and presents. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do about that. He works on his birthday and church is the next night. We might have to hold off for Thursday. I think the kids will want to help with the cake.

Well, not much else going on, just work.
Have a great day!
de

No comments: