Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I Surprised Will!!!!

For the first time in a long time, I actually surprised Will with his Birthday present. There have been so many times that I have bought, made or planned his present and he guesses what it is. I have even gone so far as to put a small thing in a huge box and he still knows. This time he did not guess. Boy am I proud of myself. Before you think that it's because I gave him hints, or he snooped, it's not. He just knows my mind and guesses.

Since we turned our garage into an apartment for our friends, Will has had no place for his tools. He has tools strung out all over creation. It's not really his fault because we just poked them into any available space. We are forever searching for a certain tool that we need. I say "we" because of few of them, I use quite often too. He has often lamented that he does not have a place for his tools. I decided to fix his problem for his birthday.

I asked my Dad to help me. We built an outdoor workshop for him. Well, Dad did most of the work, but I helped. I am a good "board holder" when you are sawing, nailing or measuring. We built it at Mom and Dad's house and then brought it out here in sections to put it together yesterday for the birthday boy. My Mom helped too. We had fun!

It's a small shed with shelves and a workbench. It opens up so that it is a work center ahead of you, but you do not enter the building. It works sort of like a pantry cupboard with a desk area. He can close the whole thing up and lock it with his project still on the work bench. There is room for pretty much all of his tools, aside from the air compresser and who knows maybe that will even fit. There are many possibilities for storage, including outdoor garden tool storage on the sides. I'm proud of my Dad for making my idea come to life.

I'm pretty sure Will is tickled. I asked him last night if it was an ok birthday present and he said it was. I know that it means more work for him as we still have to paint it and shingle it, but I think that in the long run it will come in very handy.

As for the bear story. I went out yesterday morning and the melting snow still had a couple of his foot prints in it. I took a picture of it. Then last evening Will, the kids and I all went out to see if we could see where he crossed the road or any other signs. There were prints there from the large pad on his foot. Scary, awesome business.

I'm off to work.
Have a great day!
Happy Birthday Will.......you're old.
dea

No comments: