Monday, April 28, 2008

The POWER of MOM

Yesterday was a busy day. We went to church in the morning (after I read the clock wrong and was ready to walk out of the door an hour early). Jessalyn is still on her trip and Jacob didn't feel well, so it was just Will and I. We even managed to get there on time. It was a great service, filled with happy people. What a way to start a day.

We came on home and checked on Jake, who was still sleeping and did not wake up until 1:00 pm (the first time). He had a drink and snack, took his cold meds and went back to bed until almost 4:00. Then he stayed up until 7:30 and went back to bed. I know he was sick, because most of the day he did not even feel well enough to play a video game. Now that's sick!

Will and I spent the day picking up wood at my sister's house. They had cut down a large Oak tree and an Ash tree. Firewood for us. Two truck loads. Then we helped Dad take some stuff out to our friend's flea market. No sense keeping it around the house. Stood around and talked a minute and then were going to go back and get a load of manure for my garden (for the weeds). Ran out of time so we came on home.

Will talked to his folks for awhile, as we had been playing "phone tag" with them for a week or so. They laughed alot, so it must have been good. I tried to catch up on all the shows that we had recorded on the tv with our T*vo. I try to sit down once a week and catch up. Most times I don't get it all watched and finally give up. So far for some reason we are addicted to the King Crab fishing people on the one show and now they have started up a new one about Alaska. This one is where 4 groups of normal people are taken to Alaska to set up household and they have to survive for 3 months in different settings. Quite interesting. Will and I watch together and have decided that we would do things much different than they do in most situations. They had a show like this a couple of years ago, where people had to act like wagon train settlers in a valley and prepare for the winter. We were hooked. I think both Will and would like to have had the chance to do something like that, BUT ONLY FOR A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. Not forever, just long enough to say that we did it. Now we're probably too old.

Now....for the power of Mom. Will was tired so he went to bed. I stayed up for a while, too tired to sleep. I decided to take the dog out one last time before heading to bed myself. I grabbed Will's light cannon (something like 3 million candles bright, whatever that means). I take that out with me because I have a very big BLACK dog and you cannot see him in the dark unless there is a full moon. The only thing that you can see are his teeth and unless he's running you don't see those very often. Of course when he runs back to you out of the dark night, it can scare the crud out of you too. He's not there-He's there!

Anyway, my dog, my light and I go outside. I hear something over to my left and Sam's dog Tater starts just throwing a fit. I walk around the corner with my light thinking that there are deer there. I round the corner to see a BEAR there. He see's me with my light cannon and turns and runs. I am not making a fishing story up when I tell you that he was taller than my waist and his butt was over three feet wide. I am SO glad that he was scared of Mom and her cannon, because I forgot every bit of advise that people have ever given me about what to do if you see a bear. Maybe I don't want to go to Alaska.

I turn to grab my dog to make sure that he does not try to protect me from the bear, as I'm running towards the back door. No worries there. Mr. black dog has beat me to the door and is wanting in. There are Monsters in our back yard and he wants inside. Little fluffy dog in his kennel is trying to get to the bear, but I think that was all a show. I think that if he had not known that he was safe with his bluff because of the fence, he would have been with Sam at the door. THAT WAS A BIG, BIG BEAR!

I ran inside to tell Will. Woke him up. Sorry honey but too bad! He was not properly enthusiastic about it, so I called the only other people that I know are awake at that hour. Will's parents. They were impressed even if he was not. His only comment was "I wish I'd seen it, sorry I missed it". He should have been amazed at the power of Mom! I chased away a bear with a flashlight! Ok, so I know I just startled him and he ran, but boy am I glad he was running the other way!

Now this morning, we have over an inch of snow on the ground. It won't last long. Rain is supposed to start soon. Oh joy, more rain. Oh well, I'm not working today (I have to pick Jessa up from her trip) so at least I won't be standing in the rain.

Have a great day!
dea

No comments: