Monday, September 26, 2005

Well, it's the Monday after the Warrens Cranberry Festival, or Cranfest as it has come to be known. Deanna woke up early and put the kids on the school bus. She then started to put a "blog" together but she had so much to say that she didn't have time to finish it. After all the work she did this weekend with Cranfest she still has to work at the post office today. She wanted me to finish it for her but after reading it I decided I couldn't do it justice. So I "Saved" her blog and I will have her finish it and post it for you later.
I promised you pictures and you will find them below. I really wanted to show how our sleepy little town turns into this thriving mass of humanity for three days and then returns to it's dormant state. It didn't quite work out as I planned.
Friday the first day of Cranfest was absolutely beautiful and the people came. Friday is usually a good day at Cranfest but understandably not as good as Saturday or Sunday; usually that is. I had planned on taking pictures on Saturday and Sunday-which I did-but it turns out that Friday was our best day I think and of course, I didn't take any pictures on Friday.
Saturday started out nice but then it began to turn dark and started to give us a light sprinkle and mist. It wasn't too bad but you could see that the people that had been there since the morning had decided that maybe it was enough. Usually they would have stayed but I think the "wetness" of it all convinced them to leave a little sooner than usual. That night we received word that we were supposed to get between 2 to 5 inches of rain that night and Sunday morning. Their word was good.
Needless to say Sunday was a little bit of a let-down. We wound up allowing the vendors to pack up and we closed the Festival down early due to the weather. I say we wound up "allowing" because they pretty much did it anyway. They are contracted to stay whether they want to or not but so many decided to leave anyway and were causing so many problems that we pretty much gave them the "go ahead". Thankfully though it was after the parade at least. Interestingly enough, the vendors that stayed did a brisk business in spite of the weather and other vendors, at least that%

No comments: