Thursday, February 15, 2007

Here a meter, there a meter.....

I'm talking about electrical meters. Will and I are reading the meters on Mom and Dad's meter reading route until they get back from Texas and all the other places they are wandering. It has been interesting. Kind of fun, really cold and very interesting. It's kind of like a treasure hunt. The sheet tells you there is a meter there somewhere, but the where is sometimes a problem. We are now half way done and I want to read more today before my dentist appointment. Thank God the weather is better so you don't freeze quite so much.
Will went to the VA to do the concert with his country music group last night. It was the big "Valentine's Day Bash" for the veterans that live there. Will said it went better than he had expected. He was a little concerned because the practise on Monday had not been so good, but isn't that the way it goes? In our group we usually figure that a bad practise means you'll do better when you sing for people.
I was Jacob's helper last night. He had to build a bridge for his engineering class. Not a problem, except that he had to build it out of pasta (primarily angel hair spaghetti noodles). Still ok, except that it has to be weight bearing and a weighted model car needs to drive over it. Throw in the fact that he has an essential tremor in both hands so they shake all the time, especially under stress and you have a hard job. He did great! He just needed me to hold some stuff where he glued it until it dried. Now we just have to figure out how to get it to school.
Kind of fragile for the bus. Maybe I will have to take him to school.
Jessalyn helped me read the meters yesterday and that was fun. Today is "Jump Rope for Heart Day" for her. She went to people for donations and now she will jump for quite a while this afternoon. I think it's like an hour and a half or two hours. Longer than I could jump rope. She'll love it. I would fall over and collapse.
We are still working on cleaning and sorting around here, due to the apartment. It is going pretty well all things considered. It is not easy for people to all have their junk and get a place for everything. We will persevere. Conquer and divide is my Motto!
The main problem is trying to find a place for the tools that Will needs often. I don't want to put them down in the new garage. It is not in any way convenient to the house for a quick job. I'm still working on that. We hope to get done with meters by Sunday and then I will be able to get back to dividing and conquering.
I'm also working on the Oakes Family Gathering Invitations. I have to get all of my addresses in order before I send anything out. I do not want to miss anyone. There will be about 90 of those so far. I am working on another power point presentation for the gathering. It will be a little different than last year and I hope interesting for the family.
I have a meeting with someone from the Wisconsin Tourism Department on Friday and much of the rest of the board of directors cannot attend. Should be interesting. I hope someone else can show up. This is all in preparation for our 35th anniversary this year at Cranfest. It is a "military tribute" and it's going to be big. You would not believe all the protocol that we have to follow in order not to offend anyone. Our parade chair person died a month or so ago, so we are restructuring the parade committee and all that it does. New rules, new concepts etc. Lots of work, but I think it will be worth it.
I have given up quite a few of my responsibilities this year in order to be able to "trouble shoot". I wear an ear piece during the festival so that the people around me are not bothered by the radio (of course they think I'm nuts when I start talking to the air) and all I do all weekend is run from one spot of trouble to another. Last year I spend much of the weekend with Law Enforcement (we had some people that kept trying to set their booth up in the road, Honest!) I figure that with just the logistics of all of the military stuff and all of the changes that are made this year, I will be needed more the first day or so. Then after that it should calm down and I will be able to go back to working in our church booth. At least, I hoping that is what happens. I don't know though. Sometimes it's not easy to juggle my commitment and responsibilities with Cranfest with my commitment and responsibilities with the church. No matter what I do, it seems someone always thinks that I'm doing the wrong thing or shorting one of the two. I'll do my best though.
It's a tangled web I weave.
Well time to get Jessalyn off to school. Jacob rode the bus. I'm praying his bridge makes it. I am taking Amanda to work and then heading off to read meters before I go to the dentist.
Have a blessed day.

No comments: