Friday, February 09, 2007

The story of Sam and Tater...

When our friends moved into the apartment, they brought with them their cute fuzzy little dog named Tater. He is very, very hairy like an Australian shepard, but his face is very thin like a fox. He is a strawberry blonde and very sweet tempered. Boy is he a bundle of energy.
Sam and Tater immediately liked each other through the fence of Tater's kennel, but with it being so cold, none of us wanted to stand out there while they ran around the yard. Instead we stood inside the "sun porch room" watching them, while Sam ran around the outside of the kennel. Come to think of it from the outside we probably looked strange with our faces all pressed against the glass laughing.
Well, yesterday was a heat wave. It turned 15 degrees and was sunny. The wind chill factor was only at about -10, so we decided it was the day. We let them both out and they were off. Neither one of them knew which way to run first and it ended up that Sam just kept jumping over Tater like he was a hurdle and Tater kept running in circles around Sam. We put them in Sam's big kennel and the race was on. Tater would run in big circles around hulking Sam and Sam would run with him in smaller circles. I think Tater would take two trips around the yard to Sam's one trip. We just kept laughing. Then all of a sudden they met and it looked like the circus. Tater jumped up on Sam's back with all four feet and rode him around the fence. They looked like a strange "double decker dog". Of course we all laughed harder and so they had to show off some more.
We can let them play together now and not worry. Sam is so tired from yesterday that he just wanders around from resting place to resting place (he has one in every room). He is not tired enough to let me move around the house working without him, but he is not "helping" today. Yippee! I can actually move without stepping on him. Truthfully, we have a system Sam and I. He walks on the top of my feet and I walk on the bottom. It seems to work quite well and somehow we still manage to get our work done (sort of).
I am trying to get into a system and it is getting better now that the kids are healthy and the girls are in the apartment. It was pretty scary there for awhile. My system is......
I carry a timer around with me and devote 10 minutes to each room every morning (sometimes they only need 5, but most times 10). This way I can get the house clean before I leave for work and not have to deal with it so much when I am exhausted from the cold weather and the route. Believe it or not I think that I am even getting my laundry done in the morning too. Not an easy task with a family of 6 or more. It is suprising how tired a person gets being out in the cold. It is much easier for me to function in the morning and do other things in the afternoon. I hope that this will work this summer too.
Will is at work and the kids are going to school today. If I do not have more paperwork to do at work today, I will come home and work on paperwork here. It is just piled up, but I have to have quiet to do it and quiet has been impossible around here lately. I need time to just sit and think. I think that there is some type of button or maybe a sign that flashes around here because the minute that I sit down to do paperwork or pay bills etc, the kids suddenly need me or the phone rings, or the dog wants out etc. I know!! It's a conspiracy! They all are plotting against me! Oh well, I'll live and the paperwork will still be waiting.
Time to get Jake on the bus and Jessalyn out of the bed. Have a blessed day!

No comments: