Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Because My Wife Said So!

Posted! Dea, said it was my turn to post and that I was getting rather lazy about it. This is a fact I most heartily deny. I prefer to believe that I just have become much more successful at delegating. Somehow she doesn't see it that way.

For one, I'm not going to answer her questions from her last post. I just don't think that way. Having said that, I am really interested to see what other people think. So Please, don't follow my bad example. Truly, I have a different perspective. I explained it to Deanna the other night as being just a pinball in life trying to accomplish as much as I can with whatever I have at hand. When I sink too low, I can trust God to hit the flipper and send me in the direction He wants. So, most of my goals have a more immediate and/or narrow focus. If you read my "blessings" post then you understand. It's all I can do to try to accomplish those things without spending energy for anything farther down the road. This year is jam packed full of things I truly need to get done and I don't have enough time to accomplish them all. So? I hit the "bumpers" I can as the Lord directs and trust His bigger plan.
Having said all that, it is one of the more endearing things about Deanna that I have grown to love. Her optimistic view of the future. With all sincerity it has served us both very well in several ways. For one, when contemplating all that is on my "plate" gets to be too much, I can count on her to distract me with what we might have for "desert" next week. If you get my drift. Plus, many times God has used her "optimistic planning" to actually accomplish what I would have been too practical to hope for. Many times her careful planning for something she didn't know we would be able to do has actually made the difference. I don't know if you understand what I just said there but it's the truth. She plans well and leaves room for God to work and maintains flexible for that.
It's one of the things about Deanna that I think God knew I needed and wasn't going to get on my own.

Here is a classic example: I wasn't kidding when I said I counted my blessings in all that I have to do. My house feels like it's falling apart around me, but there was a time when it wasn't even a house. Go back 10 or 12 years. Deanna has me drive north of Warrens, back in the woods a ways (so to speak) and I pull into a dilapidated parking lot of a gas/station/convenience store/hardware store/butcher shop.
The gas pumps are ripped up and leaning against the front wall. There is more grass than asphalt in the parking lot. Only three very small windows, up high, in front. There are 55 gallon drums slowly rusting on the side.
It's a concrete block building with "rolled roofing" that has seen better days. There are refrigeration units literally scattered all the way around the building. Out back is a 1955 ice cream truck sitting on it's frame and rear axle. The motor and front suspension removed to place another refrigeration unit under the hood to become One improvised beer cooler. Inside were still shelves, cash registers, freezers, even a meat band saw. All of which had definitely seen better days. When I looked at the place I was wondering when my last tetanus shot was. Deanna was the one thinking "house". She completely shrugged off my statement regarding her twisted sense of humor.
I remember regaling her with the impossibilities: Our credit was "tanked". I was making just above minimum wage. She wasn't really working and Oh! I barely knew which end of hammer you used to hit a nail with! "C'mon you have got to be kidding!"
"Fat lot I knew".
Deanna had hope and prayer. God had a plan and blessings to bestow. It just worked. With a lot of help from family and friends. I mean, I still have to label which side of the hammer is the business end.

Anyway, Without Deanna, I would probably still be in an apartment. I just wouldn't have the vision.

There, that's a nice long post. Now I have a faucet to replace and fence posts to pound. Thank you God for the day and time to do it!

Numbers 6:24
Will

No comments: