Tuesday, June 02, 2009

The weathers gorgeous!

(from Will)

When I work all weekend I have mandated that no one ask me to do anything on Monday. Monday has become a sort of sabbath for me; my day of rest. You'll notice that there is a small "s" on that sabbath. I can't exactly say it's a dedicated thing, nor do I keep it completely Holy either. I wish I was better at that but until then...

Yesterday started out that way. Correction: It did not "start" that way. It started with me waking up before 4am. That is the time I get up on the days I work. Usually when I have the day off I sleep in til closer to 6am, but the aches and pains of working hard (and old age) woke me and wouldn't let me get back to sleep. Besides that, I did the usual and started my morning on the 'puter. Checking emails and updating my Facebook page. (Mostly I play games.) by the way, because of the games I play on Facebook, I have been "adding friends" a lot. So much so that the Facebook people sent me a warning that I was "going too fast" and that I needed to slow down or they would block me. I guess they thought I was some rogue program or hack or some such thing. As my friend Bob G. would say "Friend police? who would have thought?"

Anyway, I have been known to "nap" on my days off but usually not for more than 20 minutes. After not being able to convince my body to let me sleep in, it was my body that suddenly couldn't stay awake. I dragged myself to the bed and was out like a light for a good two hours.(!) Then when I woke up, I had.....guilt. I don't know why. That is what my every-other-Monday is for! Nonetheless, there it was. And actually I do know what it was: Deanna works so hard herself that I feel bad for doing nothing. So, it was a gorgeous day and it seemed a terrible thing to waste. The sun was shining the temp about 75 degrees (f) and a very pleasant breeze coming from the west. There were a few biting flies I would discover later but it wasn't like you couldn't get away from them and there were no mosquitoes! Gorgeous.

Essentially, all days like that are traps! Terrible traps to cause you pain and suffering!

The weather is gorgeous and the grass needs mowing and I have a riding lawn mower. Here is a way of working hard that doesn't require me to do too much! And I am hoping to go to Florida in July so I need some color before I go. It's bad enough that I'll be a whale on the beach, I don't need to be a "white whale" too. So with new shorts on and t'shirt out into the gorgeous day I went. Yee haw!

I connected up the hose, kenneled and watered the dog. Picked up the dog toys and kid toys. Moved the lawn furniture and fired up the old riding mower. The day was gorgeous the weather was gorgeous and except for the occasional biting fly that I mentioned earlier, (oh and my mailbox falling into my lap when I bumped the post with mower deck,) it was all gorgeous! Until I put the mower away two hours later.

I walked inside and I knew that my arms neck and especially my thighs, knees and shins were going to have some "color". but I didn't expect them to be gorgeous! Red that is. no wait, beyond red. Glow in the dark, neon in the day, RED. I grabbed a rag and packed some ice into them and sat back down to the computer to chat with my mom online. All the while patting down my poor thighs with the icepack and then the cool damp rag after all the ice melted. My wife swears that mayonnaise will help it heal and brown faster. Perhaps, but it looks too much like my hams are being prepped for a sandwich for me to do that. I'll stick to the aloe-vera gel thank-you-very-much; which is causing my very very light pajama pants to stick to me right now.

But it's okay. Today there is a very cloudy sky and I just watched a couple of military Jet planes "dog-fighting" over my house complete with flares and high "g" turns. No sunshine, the temp is 58 degrees (f) and I think the weathers gorgeous! How about you?

No comments: