Sunday, June 28, 2009

Family Reunion Time

Every year we have the Oakes Family Gathering. For the last 2 it has been held at Devils Lake. It has been great both years. The area is very, very beautiful. Almost unbelievably beautiful. It's one of those landscapes that you cannot help but look at and say "Thank you God, you really do good work". The kids love to go hiking up and down the bluffs and there is swimming too.

The weather on our side of the lake was breezy and cool. On the other side of the lake there was no breeze and it was hot. Strange how being in one side of the little valley was so different than the other.

It was really great to sit around talking with family and friends. We ate all day long, talked and watched old "slides" from the past (1950's and 1960's). Then we had another potluck about 6:00 with my Dad and I cooking burgers and hot dogs.

All in all, it was a great experience. I didn't get to hike because I had to make an emergency run to the store, but walking back and forth to the parking lot 8 or 9 times should count as a hike.

Today I go to play for my Aunt and Uncle's Quartet at Jellystone park for the campers and then it's back to the church to play piano there. My Aunt that usually plays went to her side of the family's reunion yesterday. I hope she had a great time.

This afternoon starts the garage sale preparation in earnest. We are setting up this week to open on Thursday. I have an entire room FULL of stuff to take and am still finding more as I go. I have not even begun yet in the storage shed. Just in this room where I'm sitting now, I have 5 large rubber storage containers full of stuff that I have not yet moved out to the "garage sale room". I hope it all sells. We will end up having 2 sales though, because my father has lots of building materials to sell also and we will do that at another time.

Jake and Jessa leave fore Lifest on the 8th (Wednesday) and they come home the morning of the 12th (Sunday). We leave the afternoon of the 12th for Florida. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone. Since getting on facebook, I have reconnected with many of my high school friends. Hopefully, I will be able to see at least some of them. I plan on spending at least a day hopefully 2 in Wakulla County where I lived for 18 years. I would like to show the kids where I grew up, went to school and church etc. My Aunt still lives there and I want to spend as much time with her as I can. I also want the kids to see Wakulla Springs and make them try the water for swimming to see how cold it is. They also really want to see alligators etc.

It should be a great trip. Now if only the weather will cooperate. It's in the 70's here and the 90's and 100's there for the next couple of weeks. Quite a climate change.

Well, off to Jellystone. Have a great day!
dea

No comments: