Thursday, June 25, 2009

The wonders of Facebook!

It's happened to us and if you're not careful ( and if it's not too late already) it will happen to you. You'll find yourself on Facebook.

Deanna succumbed first. Like any addiction, it starts innocently enough. Like most drugs it has it's purposes for good but can turn evil if used incorrectly or too much. The personal networking site is not what I would call "intuitive". It took me a while to learn how it works and I'm still learning but the lure was great.

Unlike blogs (such as this), Facebook appears to limit how much a person can ramble on. This would seem to save time and indeed, in the beginning it does. Dea and I have connected with so many long lost friends it's scary wonderful! I have even connected with friends from elementary school that I haven't seen since the 6th grade! (How ya doin Hewlester!) Everyday at any hour you can "log on" and get a short blurb to see what you're friends are doing today.
Plus there are even games to play!

That is where the addiction starts to come into play. Not just the games though! oh no! My friends now number in the hundreds! So does Deanna (though most of hers are friends she's known while most of mine are friends I've made from playing games on Facebook). If each friend post a couple of sentences to tell you about their day...multiplied by a couple of hundred....

The games I play are strategy games that only take a few minutes a day to play and you don't have to play everyday but it helps. It helps if you play for more than a few minutes a day as well Next thing you know between the games and catching up on the friends and checking their pages and reading their posts and looking at their pictures....where did the day go????


I know this phenomena because it happens to me and my mother when we chat via webcam. What should have been a few minutes can turn into hours which usually ends with us having to hang up so we can run and do some chores so my wife and dad won't be disappointed with us!

So, for the joy of connecting with old friends and family as the lure and the loss of time as the price....I ask you, are all addictions bad? are these?

Before you answer, consider this: The questions rhetorical! ;-)

numbers 6:24-26!
Will

No comments: