Sunday, December 16, 2007

Na, na, na, na, hey, hey, hey, goodbye..

This title is not about what I'm first going to write about, it is about one of the stupid things that I will tell you in a little bit. OK?
It's been another one of those crazy weeks around here. Last week on Monday my Aunt was in the hospital. She had this very rare blood cancer that caused her blood to clot too much. Then she would have to go in and have it run through a machine kind of like a dialysis machine that took the sticky stuff out and ran the cleaned blood back in. She had been doing this for a couple of years now. They seemed to think she would be going home soon and then her heart stopped Monday night suddenly. Now everything was different.
She had a living will, so the family was dealing with a very difficult decision, but the Dr. held out hope that she might live after the respirator, because she was showing signs of trying to breath on her own. God took the decision out of their hands and called Aunt Ruth home at 1:15 am Wednesday morning.
Needless to say this had already caused flurries of phone calls back and forth. My parents were in Tennesse and Mom kept the phone lines burning with the family at the hospital and then would call around. She was great! Now with Aunt Ruth gone it was everyone for themselves to get ready to go down there.
Now if you know me, you will know that family means the world to me. I just love my "old people" as I call them. All of my older family members are incredibly special to me. I write them as often as I can or call to keep in touch. I also have the Oakes Family Gathering just to make sure that we all stick together. Now, one of them had died and I just could not see getting away for the funeral in Alabama and it hurt.
Step in one incredible husband. Will came home and told me I was going. It was my Christmas present from him because he knew how much Aunt Ruth meant to me and knew I would regret it, if I did not go. So, I called a couple of people and low and behold I had a ride.
Here's how the trip went. Saturday-Auction with Will in the morning until he bought the last item they sold.(His Christmas present from me-an air compresser). Run home, shower, pack and jump back in the car to get to my Aunt Gale's by 4:00 pm. (this after making sure that everything for the family was done for the next three days.)
Saturday 7:30 pm..Listen to the Christmas Cantata at Aunt Glenda and Aunt Judy's church. They were singing and could not leave until it was done. It was great.
Leave Rockford at 9:00 pm. Drive in snow. Snow turns to freezing rain. Freezing rain turns to pure ice. Ice turns to sleet. Sleet turns to heavy rain. Rain turns to huge electrical storm with lots of thunder and lightening. Storm turns to fog and lasts until we get to Northern Alabama.
What a trip. God was good. We just kept going. Stopped at every rest area because one uncle had hip replacement 3 weeks ago and had to walk every hour. Some of the rest areas we all got a chance to ice skate. Not fun.
Sunday arrived at Perdito Key to 80 degree weather and the beach. What a change after all that junk we just drove through. Spent time with family and funeral Sunday evening and Monday. Left Tuesday morning to pick up trailer in Knoxville, Tn with parents.
Left Knoxville at 2:00 am Wednesday morning for home. Arrived home Wednesday 7:15 pm.
Went to work on Thursday and ended up doing my mail route and almost the whole route for another carrier. Friday too.
Exhausted but thrilled by the experience. I am so glad that I went. My Aunt Ruth was a beautiful Christian and went home for her first Christmas in glory and I am so happy for her. I even was asked to sing at the funeral and that was a blessing. I will write more about that soon when I get the words to that song.
Now for my funny story....
I went south prepared with T*de pens galore. They really do work and knowing me I will always spill on myself and then wear whatever the menu is on my shirt. I had a pen in my purse and one in each suit case. Never needed it.
Last night, I went to Will's Christmas party for work. Brand new suede jacket on. Did not take the pen with me. Second bite of food.......plop. Right there on my right lapel. Tried to wipe it off. Guess what happens when you wipe suede. Smear!.. That's right it spread. So now I don't have just a spot, I have a skid mark running down my jacket. Then of course I try to make it better by wiping again. Note to self....DON'T DO THAT! Now I have two smears. It looks like a car pealed away and left tire tracks down my shirt. Where are my pens? In the car 2 blocks away and at home 4 miles away. Figures. I'm thinking I might need to get one of those disposable plastic bibs and keep it in my pocket.
Now I'm playing catch up trying to get ready for Christmas Eve open house here and also to complete the now risen total of 28 gift baskets that I need to get done.
Yesterday was Jacob's 15th birthday. What a kid! He had a special birthday dinner at my parents because we could not get out of Will's party. So we will have another dinner for Jake this next week when everyone can be here.
Well, time to start working before I run into church and then get ready for the rest of the week. I need another 12 hours in a day and then I might get done. Oh well, it won't get done with my just sitting here.
Have a blessed day.

No comments: