Saturday, December 22, 2007

On with the snow (again)!

Well, yesterday it was almost 40 degrees. I delivered mail in a sweat shirt. Of course that can only mean one thing....blizzard. It seems that if we get warm weather one day we have to have the opposite the next. So today it's rain until late afternoon and then the snow starts with probability of getting 12 inches by tomorrow night. I am soooooo thrilled (not). It will be nice to have clean snow for Christmas for the effect. Right now it's pretty dirty stuff with all the salt, sand and plowing. The blizzard is supposed to last until early Monday morning.
With me running to Florida/Alabama for the funeral things are way behind here. I have been putting in too many hours at the post office and to top it off the foot is worse. It had been better for a week or so and then somehow got messed up again. Now the Doctor is thinking stress fracture or something like it. Nothing showed up on the x-ray, but I have it taped again and then 2 braces to wear once I can unwrap it. I'm sure that standing on the cement floor at work and walking on the ice is not helping it at all.
I have found out through this that I make a terrible patient. I cannot get the stuff that I normally do done and that is very, very frustrating. By the time I get home from work, I am exhausted and in so much pain, I just sit there and I HATE IT. I'm sure there is a lesson in here from God. Just when I am the most miserable he steps in to let me know the "moral of the story". Everyone is telling me that maybe God is telling me not to do so much for other people and just take it easy. How do you do that when you don't feel like you do enough for other people? I do not like this thinking about me garbage. It's taking too much time. I need to be out there doing.
So.......
We're still having our Christmas Eve Open House. I have toned down the menu to about 18-20 things including about 4 dips so, it's not so much work. Lots of easy stuff that I can throw together in the morning and then serve at night. We've thought about cancelling because of my foot, but I just don't have it in me. Too many people are looking forward to it. For some around here, it is the only Christmas that they get. I just could not deal with the guilt of letting my foot get in the way.
Today, Will and the kids are going to get a Christmas tree. It's really late to be doing that for us. We usually have it up way early in December. Schedules and funerals have messed it up. They are all panicking because I'm the one that usually has the final say. It's got to be the tree that "speaks to me". I know silly, but I go with my gut. Anyway, they all think that they will pick the wrong tree, but I know better. Because it could be a Charlie Brown Christmas tree and I would still love it. Besides now I don't have to feel guilty about not taking it down until the end of January. I can just say I'm enjoying it the proper amount of time. Right?
Then hopefully, after they get the tree, they can come and meet me for their last minute shopping stuff and we can get this show on the road.
We never baked cookies so tomorrow morning I will be baking at least 12 dozen cinnamon rolls and we will deliver them at church for Christmas Gifts and then spread them around to the rest of the folks that we need to deliver them to. Much easier than baking all those cookies. Sure I'll still bake some cookies but not 100 dozen.
Believe it or not, I actually have almost all of the gifts wrapped. Strange feeling that one, I don't know that there has ever been a Christmas Eve that Will and I have not been up throwing and I mean throwing wrapping paper on gifts. One year I even had to use masking tape. Of course we found the scotch tape the day after Christmas. Four rolls if I remember right.
Last night my hubby took me out shopping. It's our yearly event. We get to walk around the mall holding hands. It's one of the things we enjoy the most each year. Although it somehow ruins the mood when your husband keeps calling you gimpy. Romantic dear, very romantic. He made up for it though and fed me Japanese. Sesame chicken. One of my favorites.
Well, this house will not get cleaned by itself. I've loads of stuff to do before work and then off I go to deliver Christmas.
Ho, Ho, Ho and all that.
Happy Christmas everyone. Please remember the reason for the season.
dea

No comments: