Sunday, December 02, 2007

Yesterday we had our first snow storm of the year. I say first because they are predicting that we get much more snow this year than we have in the last couple of years. I'm sure that will be good for the winter tourism market, but for the rest of us. Yuck!

Being a mail carrier stinks this time of year. Especially now that they have given me this "jeep". You never know what way it will go in the snow. The front tires are a different axle width than the back ones, so each tire makes a new track in the snow. Fun stuff.

Yesterday morning was fine. I went into work a little early because the snow was not supposed to start until after noon. Well, someone forgot to tell the snow that. It started at 9:00 and did not let up until it started raining (yes raining) at about 10:00pm. We ended up with about 8 inches which now has a 1/2 inch layer of ice over the top. The rain compacted the snow down to about 5 inches and it has a hard shell. Not fun at all for the animals to walk on. It makes life miserable for the deer and other wildlife because they have a hard time getting through it.

Will left for work about 1/2 hour ago, driving on this mess that the trucks have not had time to salt. I have been waiting here at the desk for a phone call saying that he is there or that he is in the ditch. I haven't heard anything yet, so that could be good or bad. The kids and I shoveled yesterday for a couple of hours and it was a losing battle. We shoveled enough that Will could get into the driveway and park the truck. Then the snow plow came through and you could not tell.

The only one that really enjoys this weather is the dog. Sam thinks this is wonderful. He runs around throwing snow in the air, jumping and in general running like crazy for no reason. I wish I had his energy. He and Jessa were so tired yesterday that they hit the hay before all the rest of us with no arguments.

We were supposed to go Christmas caroling today for the village. I had borrowed Cranfest's people mover shuttle and we were going to use that to ride around on. I cancelled. For some reason riding everyone around town on a "float" in 30 mph winds, on ice does not sound like a fun time. I'm not even sure that we are going to have church. The pastor is also the township snow plow driver. I think he will be busy. I know I don't want to go out in this.

As I mentioned before Will put the Christmas lights up. They are beautiful and now with the snow they really, really look great. He does such a good job on those things.

The foot is still there. It seemed to be getting better and then I stepped wrong on the snow on Saturday and it is sore again. I guess it will just take time. At least I don't hurt quite as much when I walk, so that's progress right?

I started a new blog for a test run. It will have different stuff on it, so who knows. Right now it has one of my family's favorite recipes on it, so check it out at deascorneroftheworld.blogspot.com and let me know what you think of the recipe. I will try to post one every couple of days. Most will be designed for the busy person with no time. It probably won't just be recipes though. I manage to find little bits of pieces of "stuff" around that I just might put on there.

Well, Will has not called and my foot hurts, so I'm back to bed to read.

Have a great day!
dea

No comments: