Wednesday, February 04, 2009

19 years and still going strong!

Monday marked the 19th anniversary of Will proposing to me on WTNT radio in Tallahassee, Florida. Aside from the fact that he proposed on Ground Hog's Day and married me on Bastille Day so that he could remember the dates (he will deny that I'm sure), it was a pretty special day.

Of course the stupid things rule did apply that day too....

Will being sneaky had asked to bring him lunch on my way to the Dentist's office. I had gotten off of work early and dressed in comfortable clothes to go to the dentist (who wants to sit in the chair for that long in something tight or pokey). I try to get him something different, so I dropped by a couple of fast food joints so that his selection was better. As I'm carrying his food in his drink spilled all down the front of my t-shirt (which at least was not white, if you get my meaning). I walk into the station in a hot pink t-shirt with a huge spill down the front.

I hand him his food and start flapping my t-shirt as much as possible to get it to dry. I should have known something was up because as I turned to look through the window that comprised the wall between the office/hallway and the studio where we were...there were all of these people lining the window watching. Now this was not normal. Most times people didn't even notice when I came in and here they were staring. Stupid me....I didn't get it. Then Will starts talking and suddenly it became clear.

Will proposes and my heart is singing while my body tries to fold itself down under the counter so that the people listening on the radio do not see me with my wet shirt. Go figure. It's really strange what stupid things will run through your mind when you are in a panic.

Thank God we did not take pictures that day. The station probably would have used it for promotion and there I would have been looking like I had drooled down my shirt and I hadn't even been to the dentist yet!

It's been 19 years now and I love him more now than I did then, although it's more mellow most times. Deeper somehow. Do you know what I mean? When you first start dating you get that funny feeling in your stomach and most of it is nerves because of the newness of the situation, the excitement, the idea of falling in love.

Then after a couple of years, the newness part wears off, but you still get that feeling although it's all tied up with what lies ahead and the changes that are happening, so it's excitment wrapped up with ideas, plans and dreams.

Then you come to the point where I am now.... I get that feeling when I'm around him because of who he is. I still get giddy when he reaches to grab my hand to walk (each and every time we walk somewhere together he takes my hand and it means so much to me). I get that feeling when he walks into the room, even if I don't see him come in, or know that he's going to be there, I still "feel" him walk in, don't ask me how, I don't know but we've tested the theory). I get that feeling when he turns over in bed at night or is just laying there breathing. I get that feeling when he yells "coffee" in the morning (most times) or when he eats too much at dinner and then yells at me for making him eat too much, like I spoon fed him or something. I get that feeling watching him with the kids or playing with the dog or cat.

Like I said it's deeper now, built on trust, knowledge and emotions instead of the situation or newness or being in love with being in love. If that makes any sense. I love my Godly husband (even with all his faults) and I think one of the things that I love the most about him is that he does not harrass me about my stupid things rule. He accepts me for me, weirdness and all. He's a great man and I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I do feel sometimes though that what is going to come out of his mouth will be "Lucy you got some Splaining to do".

Have a great day!
dea

No comments: