Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Odds and ends

Things are pretty busy here at Donaldson Central. For me last week was filled with trips to the Dr. and Physical Therapy. Will had his weekend to work for three days before being off yesterday and today.

Most of our area youth leaders from the local churches have formed an alliance (for lack of a better name) called Catalyst. We all combined youth groups last week and took 2 bus loads of kids over to Lacrosse for CityPraze. A praise and worship service in the civic center. We thought at first that it was going to be geared for mainly the youth this time, but it didn't work out that way. The kids enjoyed it anyway. I was going to go, but ended up sick and decided I better not sit on a crowded bus with all those kids and spread my germs around. I'm sure parents would have been thrilled if I had.

Our CD's went on sale last week from New Journey. Sales are going very well, which surprises the heck out of me. We might end up even having to make a second printing? Something I never even slightly expected. My Uncle Ken (our bass) has been wintering at his home in Alabama, but is planning on returning to the area by April 1rst. Our first singing engagement is April 11th, when Cranfest and the local businesses are planning a Warrens area Easter breakfast. It should be cool. Cranfest will supply the food and drinks, the Warrens Area Business Assoc. will help with syrup etc., the Lions Club will cook, the 4H clubs are going to supply eggs and have a hunt and our group and the Gospel Word Singers will sing. It's pretty cool.

Cranfest is gearing up for me for the next couple of months. We are having round table discussions where we start from the "bottom and go up" on how Cranfest works. It's hard to see the forest when you are stuck in your own little part of the woods, so we try to educate others on what everyone does. The Governor's Conference on Tourism is next month and we are going through some staff changes. All will cost me a little more time and then things will calm down from May through June/July.

It's warmer weather here with a high of 50 or so today, but we are not thinking of getting used to it. The weather people say back to the 30's again next week. I am just hoping it will get rid of the ice and all of the ice dams on everyone's roofs from having so much snow and the ice storms etc.

That ground hog said only 6 more weeks of winter and "I'm holding him to it". I am ready for spring!

Went to Madison for a family meeting with the Oakes Family Gathering Committee. For anyone reading the Gathering is June 27th this year at Devil's Lake, information is coming. We got together to plan some changes. This will be the second year at the Lake. We are splitting things up more with me not being responsible for so many things. I'm truthfully having a hard time convincing people that "I like to do this", so everyone keeps worrying about me doing too much and working too hard. I wish that people would understand that "this is what I do and this is what I like to do" . I love to do things for other people. I love to cook for others. I love to take care of others...I think that while they are trying to help me....the way I think is a foreign concept for most people. I do appreciate their motives and their concerns though.

Well, speaking of doing for others it's time to get the kids ready for school. Have a great day!
dea

No comments: