Monday, December 15, 2008

It takes your breath away!

It's windy here in the great white north. For 2 days we had above average temperatures and yesterday it actually even got up to 45......then it turned nasty. Temps dropped to -1 with 30+ mph winds. Wind chill factor is about -30 right now. I am not thrilled....work will be cold today. Not only is it cold, but I end up having to chase mail over people's yard, because it blew out of my hands orout of the mail box. Not fun.. Thank you God that I am not a city carrier. I know that I am a wimp and would not be able to walk for miles in this trying to hang on to letters. I have great respect for them and the trials they endure with grace under pressure. A day like today and people will still call and complain because their mail is late. I feel sorry for them.

If you have little kids and are looking for a great easy, no bake cookie recipe for any age....check out Dea's corner (link to the right).

Yesterday was our Christmas musical at church and they did great! I was really, really proud of our youth group and choir. The youth group acted as narrators and the choir sang. It turned out really well for the few practises that we had. I'm am very thankful for the effort that everyone put in. It turned out great. Then we had potluck and let me tell you there are some good, good cooks at our church. It was too much!!! Of course that didn't keep any of us from eating way too much food and loving every minute of it.

I came home and spent another 2 hours (total 5) chopping an ice dam off of our bathroom roof. We got so much snow and then it turned warm. It created this huge dam which in turn created leaks.....I just love living in Wisconsin in the winter. Although I complain about this time of year, the truth is that snow is beautiful sometimes. When you have the time to stand there and enjoy the fresh snow on a calm sunny morning, when the world seems at peace, it's wonderful. Everything is so quiet that you can hear the trees groan and crack. The birds sing, but even they seem in awe. Then the world intrudes and life goes on and it isn't so pretty any more.

Still all in all it's worth it to have a white Christmas and mostly to enjoy spring like we can here. There is nothing quite like that first patch of ground showing itself in the sun light when spring first comes. You can smell the earth warming. You can actually watch life begin again. It is an awesome sight and my favorite time of the year. Guess what? It will be here in less than 4 months (God willing). We just have to hang on until then.

Enjoy this holiday season.
dea

No comments: