Friday, December 26, 2008

It's all over but the coughing and sneezing and coughing...

Christmas has come and gone... but it left in it's wake, colds for the rest of the family. Will and both kids are sneezing, coughing, snorting and hacking to no end. Poor things. I feel so bad for them and I pray that they do not share it with me! The rest of them are off work and school until the 5th. I have to work, so I do not need it.

I would love to say that Christmas Eve went off without a hitch, but it would be a lie. The first kicker was the weather...what a pain!!!!!! I am so, so tired of snow. Will says a "White Christmas" is not all it's cracked up to be and he is right. Driving around in this mess is a pain in the butticus. My mail jeep is like driving a bar of soap around the bathtub. I spend half my time throwing it into neutral so that I can stop. It gets stuck at almost every box. That means that I am stuck over 400 times per day.....what a great time that is, let me tell you.

When I finally got done almost 2 hours late, I still had to stop at Wally World for a few last minute things and most of the shopping for the party. Since I was running so late, it was a year to cheat with the food. I bought ready made frozen wings etc. Usually I would make them myself, but you know it actually turned out cheaper to buy them premade. I might do that again next year, if only because my Mom said that she really enjoyed the "turkeyaki wings". She's such a hoot! Both my parents are great people to be around, but I digress. It took me ten minutes to get the food and almost an hour in line.

I finally got home after 4:00 and church started at 6:00. It was not a pretty picture. My husband was harried and frazzled. He had worked so hard and nothing was going right. We all pitched in and prayed....it was touch and go there on whether we would be ready or not, but we made it. We did not make it to church, but we did get the open house done and put together. Due to weather and people being out of town and a few other circumstances beyond our control we had a smaller crowd, only about 20 or so, but it was very nice. Each and every person here had a special time, I think and they all have told us so. Some of them it's pretty much a large part of their Christmas, so it's all worth it.

Christmas morning Will and I got up and wrapped presents. We had not wrapped any before that due to time etc. We got er done and then had a quiet Christmas with the kids. Wrapped some more and went in to my parents for a WONDERFUL meal. My Mom makes the best turkey around. We all sat and ate and enjoyed each other and then came home and took naps. Our friend Luke and I went out and raked snow off the roof (almost 18" worth) and Jake and Luke helped me shovel the driveway, because guess what happened last night again????

Yep, you guessed it. Snow and more snow. Ice too. I am thrilled beyond belief. Now they say in the next couple of days another 6-8 inches. This will leave us with almost 3 feet on the ground. Probably more in some places. I am sooooooooooooooo happy about that. If there were longer periods between the storms it would be ok, I think, but this driving in falling snow that has not been plowed every day on the route is wearing me out. Not to mention the injuries it causes carriers when they fall on the ice in a not shoveled drive or yard. We are all exhausted. I just keep telling myself that I have less than 80 days of delivering in snow left and that in 3 months or so the weather will be much better. I just have to hold on.

Well, time to get ready to go shovel my way out of the driveway. I pray the snowplow has gone through or life could be interesting on the way to work.

Have a great day!!
dea

No comments: