Monday, March 23, 2009

I'm a little bit country....

We went on another research trip on Saturday looking at cars. We have been out of the car market for so long that everything is changed. We are still praying for guidance about it, but you don't know what the possibilities are until you look. Then of course with Will not fitting behind the wheel of many cars due to low ceilings...it's another thing to consider. My conclusion.....

Many cars are just too "new fangled" for me. There were cars with so many add ons, that I would probably wreck the car, just trying to turn the radio on. There were cars with so many bells and whistles that I almost felt unworthy to own them. For the most part though, I wouldn't have wanted to own them. Too fancy for the likes of me.

I'm not a "hot rodder". I do not have a lead foot. The only speeding ticket I ever got was when I was going 35 in a 25 mph zone. Someone had taken down the sign that changed it from 35 to 25. I went to court and asked that the judge have them put the 25 sign back up because it was not fair. He agreed with me and the sign was up the next week. I still paid my fine, because I was wrong, but at least the judge knew I did not do it on purpose. I thought I was obeying the law. I digress.

I do not need all of the bells and whistles. I am a very plain, run of the mill type person. I need a car to get me from point A to point B. I would like something that seats enough people to use it on family trips (we always have 2 extra kids in tow). I would like good seats, so my bones do not hurt after 10 minutes. I would like adequate foot room for my children who are not tiny, short people. I also would like decent gas mileage and a nice color that does not give me a headache as I drive down the road. Other than that....I'm not picky.

Do you think I could find that anywhere????? Knowing how hard it has been for my husband to even consider a minivan "Mommy mobile", I really, really was trying to find something that would afford us easy entry into comfortable seating with enough foot room to get by. I looked and looked. We tried car after car, after car, after car. There were a couple of little cars that would work well for him going to work and back. These would even work for short trips. There were cars that would work well for 4 people maybe taking a little longer trip, but where are the cars for trips for families with older people or younger kids that you have to strap into car seats? If you find one that has 7 person seating....it's usually almost impossible to get into the very back seat or it costs $45,000. I am not going to pay that much for a car. That would be what some people around here pay for a house. I just can't do it.

So....... what we pretty much found is that I need a new mail car (we won't even go into trying to find an on the column shifter with a bench seat). I don't know what we'll do there yet. We also need to get a mini van, we think. I am still trying to find a way to get something that will not embarrass my hubby to drive it, but even he agrees that a mini van seems to suit our needs at this time. I'm still looking and praying, but what it all boils down to is that in my opinion "it's more important these days to look cool, have lots of bells and whistles and not function for a normal family". If you are a parent with more than 2 kids, you evidently are not the normal family any longer and without a minivan you are out of luck. No one will ever enjoy putting car seats into one of the mid sized SUV's. I know I wouldn't want to do it.

I guess I'm a little bit too country "podunk". I don't need fancy I need practical and I guess that I'm one of a shrinking minority on that one judging by what is available these days. We'll keep looking though because although I'm a little bit country, my hubby is a whole lot of rock and roll.
(He likes the bells and whistles)

Have a great day.
dea

No comments: